šŸ¦ Kinmen | Travel to Kinmen

Whenever I visit I feel really relaxed; I guess itā€™s the small island atmosphere that appeals to me. However, I realize that actually living there is another matter and maybe Iā€™d get bored. Weā€™ll see when the time gets here.

Whats the longest stint you have you have stayed there?

Five days: 2 days on Nangan, 1 day going around Xiju and Dongju islands, 2 days on Beigan. Beigan is my favorite.

I enjoyed my two visits to Matsu and I love to explore islands in general. But I think I would rather retire on an island further away from China, a bit larger than the Matsu islands, and a bit more nature. I like Green Island, but itā€™s rather small too.

I would consider buying a small house on an island and spend there like a few months each year, but would not move completely.

1 Like

Never even thought about doing that.

I know the correct way to pronounce it, I speak Chinese. But since the video was directed towards English speakers, I used the common English name. I exclusively call it Jinmen when speaking to locals or with my Taiwanese friends. Itā€™s kind of like how I say ā€œTaipeiā€ when talking to foreigners, but I say ā€œTaibeiā€ when talking to Taiwanese.

btw. how would you pronounce @KongTaigi? With a ā€œKā€ sound or a ā€œGā€ sound?

Understandable. When my son was visiting me here he got confused at first; he thought he might have taken the wrong MRT because I said ā€œDanshuiā€ but he only heard ā€œTamsuiā€ on the announcements. Iā€™m not even sure anymore what the romanized signs say (@lostinasia ?)

2 Likes

Orchid Island would be nice. Itā€™s a little bigger.

I believe the MRT is all Tamsui. Youā€™ll still see Danshui in a few places. Chunghwa Post tells me the Tamsui Post Office is in Tanshui District.

2 Likes

The island is great, but on my only visit I had some moments where l felt like an intruder. Maybe itā€™s different if you are a resident instead of a tourist, dunno.

No. I lived there for a while. Like, many, many years. Outsiders are outsiders. You are only welcome to live there long term if you are Kinmenese by blood, though there are a few foreigners I knew who acted blissfully unaware of the blatant discrimination they received. I didnā€™t know anyone who married into a Kinmenese family (from the main island of Taiwan or SEA) who wasnā€™t immediately treated like shit and eventually divorced (always a mess with husband and his family demanding the sons and not giving a crap about the daughters. These divorces were almost always started by a cheating husband). I knew it was time to get out when I realized I didnā€™t have a single real friend that was Kinmenese. I realized this because a friend of mine (one of the many women from Taiwan who divorced their POS husbands) dropped off a bunch of ā€œåœ˜č³¼ā€ (ā€œgroup orderā€??) Costco food (that I actually liked) and told me something to the effect of ā€œplease donā€™t pay me for it. We outsiders need to look after one anotherā€. And I realized every Kinmenese acquaintance I had never went beyond a basic ā€œhi, how are you?ā€ type exchange. Certainly not the kind of people you grab a drink with or chat for hours on end with. Donā€™t get me wrong. People in Kinmen are very welcoming. They appreciate your business. And your white face for their photos. They will happily walk with you up the ā€œmountainā€ if youā€™re suffering through that hike together and tell you where the best Kinmen-style 蛋餅 is (itā€™s a place in 山外, though I donā€™t remember the name). They might even invite you to their BBQ and gift you your own bottle(s) of Kaoliang. But they donā€™t want you moving in.

3 Likes

I was talking about Lanyu, but good reply anyway.:+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve never been to Lanyu, but I imagine youā€™d encounter the same problems I just listed about Kinmen, only on a larger scale, since itā€™s a significantly smaller space.

Kinmen has been really nice, Iā€™m coming back to Xinbei tomorrow and Iā€™ve enjoyed myself. On another note, unlike in Taiwan (at least in the places Iā€™ve been) people here are very surprised to see foreigners.

1 Like

If you know the ā€œcorrectā€ way, then why would you try to perpetuate an ā€œincorrectā€ pronunciation? This is not doing a service to ā€œEnglish speakersā€ (whatever that means).

1. I do not know of anyone who pronounces Kinmen with a hard /k/ (local or otherwise). My great aunt might be an exception, since she knows nothing about romanization.
  2. The double standard of using either accurate or inaccurate pronunciation for local vs. ā€œforeignā€ friends is a bit baffling. Do you use ā€œPekingā€ or ā€œęŗ«å“„čÆā€ or ā€œMadras,ā€ etc. based on an expectation of linguistic ignorance?
  3. The only encounter I had with a foreigner who didnā€™t care about place name pronunciation was my first month on the island. My ā€œtour guideā€ tried to pronounce 花蓮 (to this day I have no idea what it sounded like) for a train ride from Taibei. When the price came to 20 to 30 NTD I questioned her (as I could read the prices on the schedule). (Yeah, I did my homework and could identify the place name). She insisted she was right and she did get tickets, and (of course) it was to a completely different placeā€¦ Lesson learned. If youā€™re traveling LEARN THE CORRECT PRONUNCIATION!!

Perhaps my first suggestion was a bit brash. This post maybe moreso. The main point remainsā€¦ Please donā€™t teach, as you have yourself, admitted ā€œincorrectā€ pronunciation. Itā€™s not only grating, but also misleading.

I agree that someone who speaks Chinese should say ā€œGin-manā€ not ā€œKin-manā€ but when it comes to internationally known places like Beijing, there are official pronunciations in other languages, like in Germany they say ā€œPay-kingā€ and most people would not know ā€œBay-jingā€. In French they donā€™t even bother with the ā€œgā€ at the end, PĆ©kin.

I wouldnā€™t know how to pronunciation ā€œQuemoyā€ by the way, wasnā€™t even sure it meant Kinmen.

Found this documentary, shot in 1958 after the 823 battle:

(Go from 1:33 if you want to skip the introduction in Mandarin.)

1 Like

Cā€™mon, letā€™s go to Cā€™moy! :smile:

I just thought that it was the official English pronunciation. Lots have places have English pronunciations that donā€™t match the native pronunciation (Shanghai, Paris, Hong Kong, Taipei, etc.) The city where I was born in America is pronounced differently by the locals than it is by others.

3 Likes

Fair enough. Some people might pronounce it like that. It would be interesting to know the origin of this weird transcription. It could be that Taiwanese names were first romanized, using ā€œkā€ to represent the [É”] sound at the beginning of Kaohsiung and Kinmen, with this use of ā€œkā€ carrying over to later Mandarin transcriptions.

Interestingly, the main township of Jincheng uses a more intuitive ā€œj.ā€

Back on topic. I love Kinmen and the fact that Kinmenese have such a unique identity and refer to Taiwan (main island) as the mainland. Top tip: if buying Kaoliang (dang, another ā€œkā€ word), donā€™t buy newly bottled booze (ꖰ酒) if itā€™s for a connoisseur. They prefer the aged bottles that can be found in some shops (sometimes for a lot more than expected). 15 years is minimum for a nice Kaoliang. Think of it like Kinmenese whiskey. There are also special labels that can only be bought/sold there. I remember being presented with a special ā€œteacherā€™s edition.ā€ Might have been from an elementary school principal there. We had a party, on a weekday, and I was shocked at how much every principal (male and female) could drink. Maybe a stereotype, but every person in educational administration that Iā€™ve met from Kinmen seemed to have a bottomless stomach for Kaoliang.

1 Like