🏝 Kinmen | Video Documentary about Life in Taiwan

Hey fellow travelers and Taiwanese enthusiasts,

Over the last five months, I have created a documentary series about my home, Kinmen Island, presented entirely in English with Mandarin and German subtitles. I am excited to announce that all seven episodes are now available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ7tHvibr07aKeAhlg65GdYypt6SHXlQc

The primary goal of this documentary is to showcase the beauty of the island and provide a comprehensive travel guide. Each episode’s description includes documented locations, making it easier for viewers to plan their future visits. Additionally, some segments also highlight aspects of life in Taiwan in general.

• Episode 1: Introduction to Kinmen & overview of the following episodes
  • Episode 2: Tracing the history of Kinmen since 1949
  • Episode 3: Unraveling the ancient history of Kinmen before 1949
  • Episode 4: Exploring the best outdoor places to visit
  • Episode 5: Discovering the best beaches in Kinmen
  • Episode 6: A closer look at the small Kinmen Island, Xiao Kinmen
  • Episode 7: Just published! Delving into the religious aspects of the island

Stay tuned for Episode 8, which is currently in the works. In this upcoming episode, I will be showcasing the best local products, including knives made out of artillery shells and more.

I highly appreciate your feedback and welcome ideas for future topics. I’m already planning an episode with practical tips and another one focusing on relations with China.

This documentary project has been a labor of love, and it marks my first venture into video production. Kinmen’s unique blend of history, randomness, and beauty inspired me to go beyond just sharing a few pictures. It all began as a video for my family and friends back home, but it has grown bigger than I imagined.

I hope you enjoy watching these episodes as much as I enjoyed creating them.

5 Likes

Thanks. I hope you don’t mind questions about how you made them as well. I’ve been watching videos of most the islands around Taiwan proper for a while. Kinmen had never crossed my mind even as a travel spot. After a couple of videos, I was very wrong about that.

Got your YT videos all lined up.

:popcorn:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the feedback. I use very simple gear. My phone, and an external microphone. For editing I am using Da Vinci (love it!) Could learn it by myself.

The gear is an issue, my laptop fairly old, it is really slow, but it will do for now.

I was thinking to do a “behind the scenes” episode in which I speak a bit more about myself. My taiwanese friends I should tell more personal stuff and how I am doing these clips, but I wanna make this about the island. I really do not like to add personal fluff.

If you want to support me, like the video and share it. Best way to spread the word about Kinmen and you also help me to grow slight_smile:

I wouldn’t then, if this is your purpose/goal.

And that is fine. I don’t need to know your middle name. I ask only as an amateur with a somewhat cursory interest in vlogging. I rarely watch the “How I Did It!” videos on YT pages. You get a set up and you go. lol I’ve been fooling around with imovie. I’ve heard of Davinci. Good to know it’s also easy to use. :+1:

1 Like

OK, so I watched the first couple and then skipped over to the outdoors stuff. You seem to be a history buff, so Kinmen is a good place to be.

I liked the beach/coastline stuff more than the bunkers. I’m a bit more interested in day to day living, outside of the tourist/history trap.

I thought the subtitles and the editing were good enough, but it seemed, well, in a word, wordy. It’s a small bone to pick, but either you’re doing a historical presentation or you’re doing a touristy, “It’s so hoooot, let’s get in the cave” kind of thing.

All in all, it’s very informative, nearly a lecture. The bridge to the small island is crazy. That’s the place I really want to visit. But, as you say, the smog from Xiamen is a bummer. Thanks for sharing! :bowing:

1 Like

Great feedback, I appreciate it :smiley: yes, especially episode 2 has too much content and is a bit too academic.

Day to day stuff is a fair point, let me think about it