Kitten in car engine

How do I get him out? He has already jumped from one car to another. He is hurt.

Tricky. he won’t come t unless forced to, and then will just immediately retreat to another safe place. Maybe rig a sack or bag over some space in the engine bay, for him to retreat to, and then scare him into that bag somehow.

often easier with a few people to help. One to scare him toward the others, and the last person to reach in and grab by the scruff of the neck.

good luck…

Trap has been set since dusk. Kitty is screaming his lungs out. I am going bananas here, can’t stand little creatures in pain.

Ok, caught the little kitty in the trap. Now, if he stops meowing, we may have some peace…

Problem is he is covered in motor oil. Again, my legendary question: how to remove oil from a pet’s fur?

[quote=“Icon”]Ok, caught the little kitty in the trap. Now, if he stops meowing, we may have some peace…

Problem is he is covered in motor oil. Again, my legendary question: how to remove oil from a pet’s fur?[/quote]

WD40 should work. Just make sure to wash or wipe him down afterwards so he doesn’t lick it off his fur.

Edit: a lot of websites recommend dish washing liquid.

It’s obligatory at this point to suggest shaving your pussy. Seriously, if he’s really covered in the stuff, it might be the best solution to give him a brazilian. As long as you can pick him up without being scratched to bits, he probably won’t mind too much. Chemicals don’t seem like a good idea because his natural instinct will be to, um, wash it off [insert additional puerile joke here].

Hope he doesn’t have any serious injuries?

Well, suggested that to the vet but he said try washing first. He gave me some dusty stuff car mechanics use and that they themselves also use. Gave the kitty a long warm bath… No luck. He is still a sticky mess.

Miraculously, he is not seriously hurt or burned. All 3 kitties now in the isolation chamber. 2 will be ready for adoption in about a week, after their shots. But the slicky one will take a while to wash off the oil.

Slick would be a nice name, OTOH. Oh, and they are such angels, very calm temperament -totally unlike my own felines. These lovely babies can be handed any way you want them

For Shell`s sake, what do they use with oil spill animal victims? My Google-fu is failing me and it might be helpful.

Apparently just dishwashing liquid. But you may need to repeat the washign 10-15 times.

wikihow.com/Clean-Oil-off-Birds

[quote=“Icon”]Ok, caught the little kitty in the trap. Now, if he stops meowing, we may have some peace…

Problem is he is covered in motor oil. Again, my legendary question: how to remove oil from a pet’s fur?[/quote]

Wash with Soap. I’ve heard people who work in wild life rescues use Dawn dish soap, but I image any soap would do. 1 part Dawn, 3 part water apparently.

Yep. One turn with the vet`s powder and soft brush, one with Japanese orange organic soap and one final go with Malaseb. Not a pile of goo anymore but still sticky. He is not crying out in pain anymore, though still uncomfortable. Guess it is a matter of time.

nice one!

Yes, just wash, rinse, and repeat for oil on cat’s fur. lots of detergent, lot of rubbing.

Ok, this is Slick:

And these are his brother and sister, Thing 1 and Thing 2:

Deflead, dewormed, healthy, very nice clean fur, calm and cute, with quiet temperaments. Well mannered. These house panthers will make a fine addition to a calm household where elegance and neatness is key. Will make awesome companions.

Please help spread the word before they have a close encounter with Bobby!

glad she is clean. prolonged exposure is pretty bad, especially for one so tiny. they look adorable.

Actually he is not clean yet. I am really concerned as I have tried everything and washed him countless times. He is still icky and sticky.

Question to the car enthusiasts: what else aside from motor oil could he have gotten in contact with? This is too sticky, it doesn’t dry and it doesn’t wash away. Kitty remains as sticky as a Post It note.

Nothing really.

Anti-freeze, brake fluid, and motor oil make up the fluids in an automobile.
They can all be removed relatively easily.
I would say the kitten got into some kinda glue/adhesive if the soap isn’t working.

Sounds like axle grease to me. :idunno:

Guy

Vet said “try flour”. It usually works well on oils. Nope. It made a mess. But the areas covered are not sticky… Until you wash them off. What is this thing?!

Jimmy, if it is axle grease, how do I remove it?

What kind of sticky glue can be inside a car engine?

I’m sorry, I don’t know. :cry:
This is all I could find:

mnn.com/earth-matters/wilder … an-animals

I would shave the kitten, and make sure it’s warm until the hair grows back a bit. Problem solved. :2cents:

We can’t shave because the hair is stuck to the skin. Can’t even be groomed or combed.

Yeah, you’re really not going to get that stuff off. It’s not oil exactly that collects in car engines - the oil is supposed to be inside. It’s dirt and grease and grot from the road. Use silent electric clippers and he’ll probably barely notice. Then give him a blankie.

Can you shave the worst of it off, wait for a bit of regrowth, and then do it again…? Just a thought.