Knocking on the Bathroom Door

What is the correct thing to do when you’re ‘on the throne’ and you get the knock on the door. I’ve been here a while but still have difficulties with this one. I’m not even sure why it happens. I usually start whistling or fart loudly (English…fart and we laugh!) but i’m sure that this isn’t the ‘normal response’…whatever that means.

Yeah, the knock was a huge shock when I first copped one.

I think I’ve been in Taiwan too long too, cause I usually give the toilet door the ‘yoink diddly yoink doink, brown bread’ before I bust in on a 3 year old about to fall in the crapper.

I’d avoid saying “who is it?”, and give them the knock back reply. Thing is, Taiwan dunnie door’s don’t have the ‘engaged’ and ‘emerged’ lach on the door, so knocking is common place.

Still I can imagine if my old man was on the loo, and heard the knock, these would be some of his replies …

a) what do you f#^$%&%ing think this is?
b) piss off!
c) what do you f%^^*&*ing want?

cheers amos

From what I’ve seen, I think a knock back is the standard reply.

“Come on in, there’s plenty of room for two”

It’s just happened again. Sat contemplating life and the World Cup and there’s a knock on the door; i can see the shoes through the grill thingy. I can’t reach the door to give the knock back (very useful suggestion) so i resort to turning on the tap which gives the right message but it all seems so bizarre. I have used Ni Hao in the past but gave it up in fear that it might initiate a conversation about how good my Chinese is (it’s diabolical) or whether i’ve eaten or not.

Just growl You ren… Keeps the riff-raff out of my cubicle, anyway.

Ooh… didn’t consider the ‘door out of reach’ dilemma. The other thing you can do is just call out ‘yo’ in a low-key fashion, like what students do during roll-call… its the equivalent of ‘I’m (in!) here.’

I agree that knocing back is the most common, followed by a ‘you ren’ or ‘you’. When I first got here I just said ‘sorry’, and it does the trick. (Can’t really think what the problem is actually).

Bri

Well I got my head split open by the door when I was eight by a fellow bog user who rushed in upon me mid dump. Let that be a lesson to you all.

I never knock. If I suspect the cubicle’s occupied, I simply set fire to a length of toilet paper and toss it over the door into the stall.

Not only does it let the person know that someone is waiting, it also usually precipitates his immediate and speedy exit from said stall.

The burning toilet paper also gets rid of any lingering odor.

well, i prefer taking advatange of the language difference and answer with a resounding “HELLO!!”

Now should we get on to the thread that discusses taiwanese men,hetero and homo alike (I guess!!)that like to take a peak at my johnson when I’m at the urinal! lol

(Oh and a “Go away” in English normally works for that…damn public restrooms LOL)

quote:
Originally posted by Mark0938: It's just happened again.

Uh… how often do you do #2 in public restrooms?

Given the state of most public toilets here, unless it’s a dire emergency I always run (or limp) back to the house or office.

quote:
Originally posted by noshrink: Now should we get on to the thread that discusses taiwanese men,hetero and homo alike (I guess!!)that like to take a peak at my johnson when I'm at the urinal!

Maybe you should stop using the restrooms at the 2/28 Peace Park at night.

quote:
Originally posted by noshrink: Now should we get on to the thread that discusses taiwanese men,hetero and homo alike (I guess!!)that like to take a peak at my johnson when I'm at the urinal! lol

Aw, come on…They just want to see how well-endowed foreigners are, noshrink! And come to think of it, perhaps this is the gist of the recent spate of foreigner smearing in the media.
Maybe Power TV will next show footage of foreigners in California’s showers, circling their nobs, and saying “see, they’re not so huge”…I hear there are holes in the Ximending California shower curtains anyway. Maybe it’s not what you think.

“Maybe Power TV will next show footage of foreigners in California’s showers, circling their nobs”

circling their nobs??? i’m so terribly afraid of what this means!! lol I wuz WASHING it!!

quote:
Originally posted by Mark0938: It's just happened again.

What I’d like to know is, why on earth do you think OrINEtEd is so riveting that you need to take your laptop with you to the crapper?

Consider the alternative. Local papers?

Of course, downloading with the door open would sholve the problewm hic ! onshe and ferall (lasht time I drink thish Belgiun beer)