Knoppix book

At last there is a book about Knoppix:

“Knoppix Hacks” by Kyle Rankin

A book review was posted on Slashdot today:

books.slashdot.org/article.pl?si … =6&tid=106

Not sure when this will be available in Taiwan, but I’ll be looking for it next time I visit Tianlong Books. For those who don’t know about Tianlong…

107 Chongqing S Rd, Sec 1 / tel 2371-7725, 2331-5164, 2331-3524 / www.tenlong.com.tw

Another interesting post, just for the hell of it:

IT in China:
theregister.co.uk/2004/11/17 … acy_china/

Hate to be the only one replying to my own thread, but anyway, thought some of you might like to know that Knoppix 3.7 was released on Dec 8. I’ve found this server to be good for relatively fast downloads:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/knoppix/

There is also a new Chinese Knoppix distro called b2d. Haven’t used it, but Ladislav put up a link on Distrowatch:

distrowatch.com/b2d

regards,
Robert

There are several books out on Knoppix already; see knoppix.net/ for a list of a few.

BTW, there’s a simplified-Chinese version of Morphix out, although it’s nearly impossible to download since the site is usually down. :smiley:

Thanks for the pointer on 3.7; Morphix is anticipating 0.5 to be out of beta by the end of 2005. :raspberry: The current test package looks really sweet – ESPECIALLY the hot-pluggable USB (faster and more accurate than MS-Windows’ when it comes to disk drives) – but only has the kernel and a few basic utilities, no GUI or development packages yet.

Morphix doesn’t seem to boot on the Asus AMD Terminator, so I’ll have to switch back to Knoppix (which worked on the previous-generation Terminator; I tested it at a computer store about a year ago).

[quote=“robert_storey”]I’ll be looking for it next time I visit Tianlong Books. For those who don’t know about Tianlong…

107 Chongqing S Rd, Sec 1 / tel 2371-7725, 2331-5164, 2331-3524 / www.tenlong.com.tw[/quote]

Thanks a bunch for posting that, robert. Computer books in English have pretty much completely disappeared from all the other bookstores; even Page One has almost entirely Chinese-only computer books. I’ll definitely be checking out Tianlong so I can save room in my suitcase for something else.

well, I finally figured out how to burn an ISO onto cd. Surprise! Knoppix on CD actually worked. I even got the interent working, too. EASY!

But I have NO SOUND.

Any ideas on how to configure Knoppix on CD to restore the sound?

Otherwise, I love what I’m seeing right now! NO XP!

What a nice change.
Kenneth

Knoppix is really a good one. I was amazing about the LIVE-CD when I booted it and had a X-Windows.

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]well, I finally figured out how to burn an ISO onto cd. Surprise! Knoppix on CD actually worked. I even got the interent working, too. EASY!

But I have NO SOUND.

Any ideas on how to configure Knoppix on CD to restore the sound?

Otherwise, I love what I’m seeing right now! NO XP!

What a nice change.
Kenneth[/quote]

It might be a case of you have sound, but it’s muted. Try running the alsamixer utility and increasing the “Master” and “PCM” setting.

How to run alsamixer or any other Linux utility (if it doesn’t appear in the menus)? Open a window (called “xterm” in Linux) and type “alsamixer”. However, it might be buried in the menus someplace (I’m not sure because I don’t have Knoppix installed at the moment).

By the way, a very nice alternative to Knoppix is Kanotix, which is what I’m running now. It’s kind of a Knoppix-plus. But whatever you like - it’s all similar.

cheers,
DB

Thanks for the help.

I’m afriad it doesn’t help. still no sound.

It is most likely because the sound card is built in to the motherboard, and therefore needs special drivers… I hate this part of Linux right now!

Kenneth

One of the times I booted up Knoppix I tried to get the sound to work using some utility that basically said “Make the sound work” or something like that. I didn’t think it woked, but when I shut it down it said “Shutting Down” or something like that, so I guess it worked.

I don’t want to reboot right now, so I can’t see exactly what that icon was, but it was easily found somewhere near on the bottom bar.

Well, I downloaded knoppix the latest version, but still no sound.

Somewhat easier this time, but I can’t get a peep out of it!

I know it’s not the soundcard or volume… So I guess there’s not an appropriate sound driver for my card, yet… alsamixer isn’t on this system… aumix looks ok, though… Dunno.

Oh, well… Otherwise I would probablly ditch windows98 for a while and see how far I can go without it…!

Mmmm!

Suggestions?
Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]Well, I downloaded knoppix the latest version, but still no sound.

Somewhat easier this time, but I can’t get a peep out of it!

I know it’s not the soundcard or volume… So I guess there’s not an appropriate sound driver for my card, yet… alsamixer isn’t on this system… aumix looks ok, though… Dunno.

Oh, well… Otherwise I would probablly ditch windows98 for a while and see how far I can go without it…!

Mmmm!

Suggestions?
Kenneth[/quote]

I suggest trying Kanotix rather than Knoppix. Kanotix is very similar - it’s based on Knoppix and is kind of a Knoppix-plus. This is what I’m using now, and I’m very pleased with it. You can download it from kanotix.com.

I can tell you that with Kanotix, I have sound working, and like you, I have a machine with a sound port on the motherboard (as opposed to a sound card). Again, you might have to run alsamixer to turn up the volume. I have found that many Linux distros keep the volume turned way down by default so as to not blow out your eardrums if you’re using headphones.

If you run into difficulties, we’re happy to help, but also be aware that Kanotix has a useful online user’s forum:
kanotix.mipooh.net

By the way, Windows XP does NOT work with my sound port - it requires a separate sound driver that I have to install from a CD that came with the motherboard. So I can truthfully say that Linux offers better support for my hardware than Windows.

Best of luck, and let us know how the experiment progresses.

regards,
DB