Kobo eReader in Taiwan

Bought the Kobo Clara HD at Syntrend for nt$3999 and case for nt$799.

3 Likes

What floor on Syntrend? My partner has a Kobo, but its almost time for it to be retired and needs a new one.

The 8th floor (maybe 7th floor) of Syntrend has a shop with at least 3 brands of ereaders. It’s not a full on electronics shop, more like a trinket and toy shop. They are not visible without entering the shop. I saw Kobi, Hyread, and another brand that starts with an M.

Haven’t seen ereaders anywhere else in the building or area. Kobo is also available at Eslite bookstores, but they don’t seem to have variety or even available in all shops.

1 Like

I’ve seen them available for purchase online at PC Home:

https://ecshweb.pchome.com.tw/search/v3.3/?q=kobo

1 Like

Loving my Kobo Clara HD.

• Pros
    • Can read many ebook formats/types unlike Kindle that only reads Kindle format
    • Can add non-Kobo purchased ebooks
    • Small, can carry in pocket, unlike comparable kindle with same size screen
    • Battery lasts for weeks on one charge
    • Very, very light weight. Lighter than smartphone.
    • No glare or reflection like phone or iPad
    • Can read and flip pages with one hand while doing other things like hold a drink
    • Wifi automatically connects when needed for searching
    • Web browser
    • Can check out ebooks from library via Overdrive
    • Usable without wire connection to computer
    • Syncs with Pocket read-later app
  • Cons
    • Limited availability of Overdrive ebooks from Taipei public library
  • Other
    • Case is great and useful at perfect angle as a stand
3 Likes

Update: Syntrend 7th floor, at least 4 brands; Kobo, Hyread, Mooink, Mobiscribe, plus accessories like covers.

1 Like

I bought my kids a Kobo Libre H20 and they love it. They’ve always been big readers but now we have to actually tell them to stop reading for a bit and go play a game.

I’m thinking I need to update my Kobo since it’s around six years old and the screen is getting a little faded–right where I hit the screen all the time.

Audiobook sale.

1 Like

Latest firmware update adds new option.

Kobo has a new budget ereader out called Kobo Nia. Should be priced around NT$3000.

Are there any eBook readers for Letter or A4 documents? Ideally something you can also take notes on. It’s a bit of a pain in the butt to read Clowning Around and the WCA newsletters on a mobile screen.

In stock at Syntrend.

2 Likes

Eslite Nanjing Taipei.

1 Like
1 Like

One of many big reasons to own a Kobo, they support almost every single device they have ever released. Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble, tend to only support a few generations, and not every device.

E-ink readers don’t change much over the years so really little reason to buy new ones.

1 Like

Onyx Boox gets great reviews, good for reading, notes, and runs Android so can read from any bookstore or app. Pick preferred size. I like Poke 3 pocket size like Kobo Clara HD.

Not as cheap as plain ereader.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m also planning to buy a Kobo Clara, any updates on Your experiences about it? Is the battery life still great after some time passed ? Thanks a lot. I had a Kobo Reader some years ago (Glo) but not having used it for a while (back to paper books because no travelling) i got battery completely dead.

Love the Kobo Clara HD. If I lost it today, would be buying a new one tomorrow.

With heavy reading I charge it every two weeks or so but I think will go three weeks or longer with light reading.

Besides buying books from Kobo, I side load a lot of open source books and enjoy.

Before you buy an e-reader you need to think about how you’re going to manage your books. Are you going to buy all of them all the time or are you going to do what many people do is self manage on computer with additional software where you buy from multiple sources and remove the DRM protection and then do whatever you want with the book where you can also put on Kindle or anywhere.

I recommend buying the original cover because it’s very stiff and protect the screen in case it gets squished in a bag or someone sits on it. A lot of the non-original covers collapse and crush the screen and then have other problems

3 Likes

Kobo ereaders currently on sale at Eslite until 6/22, plus $500-800 value towards books. They rarely go on sale.

All on sale.

With discount this one probably ~$3399.

1 Like