Korea a part of China too?

And of course the article I linked states those years in which the PRC/CCP did NOT indicate Taiwan was part of their territory nor were they very interested. Then there was the sudden flip flop.

Shrimp,

In 1939, the CCP or CPC was part of the ROC. The PRC is established in 1949.

So in 1939 the ROC recognized that Taiwan was part of Japan.

Your sense of history is a little off making it very easy for you to be mislead.

The author was a graduate student in Korean studies. I would not be surprised if he failed to do any research on Taiwan.

Hence, Taiwan was not part of China because it was ceded to Japan in perpetuity since 1895.

Thus when the Japanese surrendered to ROC in 1945, the ROC included Taiwan in the map of China once again. And it has been that way ever since.

The ROC doesn’t recognize the PRC negotiating on China behalf, so in those cases along the Northern boarders region could there be an interesting academic debate.

Here is the ROC map that everyone memorizes for exams.

See larger map here.

Korea is not on the ROC map as a controlled area.

The issue that particular South Korean student has is that PRC has submitted and be granted permission to label certain areas under China control as “historical sites” of an ancient kingdom.

This has certain Koreans upset because the kingdom in question is the predecessor to modern Korea in their opinion and feel China is “stealing” their history.

Does that mean ethnic Koreans now want to control the Manchuria now?

I fail to see the parallel here because Nationalist Koreans want a Korean Nation-State that will span into the modern States of NK, SK, and PRC.

Nationalist Taiwanese, the side you are trying to represent, on the other hand could careless of their Minnan brethren on the mainland.

But if you wish to argue the Nationalist Korean and Nationalist ROC citizens both share the common dream of taking over parts of the mainland from the PRC, I would agree with you.

EVERYONE? is that “everyone” in China, “everyone” in taiwan or “everyone” everywhere or something else entirely?

does memorizing something make it fact?

Heck, aren’t we all Chinese, or at least on the road to striving to be Chinese? My wife’s grandfather is of this opinion, and let me tell you, he is one tough cookie! I like to talk to him because of his experience, and his wicked accent. Before him, I am truly a Grasshopper!

[quote=“skeptic yank”]EVERYONE? is that “everyone” in China, “everyone” in Taiwan or “everyone” everywhere or something else entirely?
[/quote]

Everyone who wishes do well on their Junior High, High School, and College entrance exams in Taiwan needs to be familiar with this map and various geography question that are derived from them.

That’s a philosophical question.

The main point AC, is that despite the CCPs assertion that China has always regarded Taiwan as a province is not always true.

“The area was ceded to the Chinese by Japan in 1909, a deal that a unified Korea would have a strong case in overturning, since agreements signed by the Japanese occupiers were negated in the same Atlantic Charter of 1941. That charter and the subsequent Cairo Conference of 1943 made it possible for the Chinese Communist Party’s abrupt inclusion of Taiwan in its territory.”

That’s because from the CCP point of view they won the Chinese Civil war in 1947.

China regards Taiwan as an intergral part of China.

Not to mention Taiwan was not always a province. It was sometimes regarded as part of Fujian Province.

I know, with like 5,000 years of a disintergrating history, you’d figure it hit rock bottom by now. :laughing:[/quote]

China hasnt even been one country for more than 2500 years. So your statement of 500 years of history is incorrect.

CHina also sold Formosa to the Dutch as they didnt want it. But later China changed it’s mind and wanted to break it’s contract.

Taiwan was sold to the Dutch after the Chinese defeated them on Penghu Island.

1624 The Dutch reach an agreement with the Chinese government to evacuate from the Penghu Islands in return for establishing settlement on Taiwan. This marks the beginning of Dutch colonial rule of Taiwan.

1625 The Dutch begin construction of two strong forts, Zelandia (Anping) and Providencia (Sakkam, part of present-day Tainan).

So Taiwan has not always been an integral part of China. Just like the China aint got 5000 years of history.

chinataiwan.org/web/webporta … 13526.html

The 19th Century
That China hardly had any influence at all in the coastal waters around Taiwan is apparent from the two following examples: when in the 1870’s Taiwanese pirates captured American, Japanese and French ships passing the island, these governments protested to Peking, but the Manchu emperor said: “Taiwan is beyond our territory.”

In fact, the French go so upset by the recurring attacks on their ships and the Chinese inaction, that they sent a navy fleet to the island, and for nine months in 1884-85, the northern part of Taiwan was French territory.

It wasn’t until 1887, that the Manchu Imperial authorities decided to declare Taiwan to be a “province” of their Empire: they wanted to outmaneuver the Japanese, who were expanding their influence to the South.

The ploy didn’t work: in 1895 the Japanese defeated the Manchu’s in the Sino-Japanese War, and in the Treaty of Shimonoseki, China ceded Taiwan to Japan in perpetuity (not 99 years, like Hong Kong’s New Territories, but in perpetuity, i.e. forever).

An important conclusion is thus that Taiwan was an occupied part of Imperial China for only eight years. Not “always”, as the KMT and the Chinese Communists are claiming.
taiwandc.org/hst-1624.htm

If Taiwan was not part of China, why are all the foriegn powers negotiating with China for control of the island?

So it ceded control of the island a few time. Same with HK.

If you want to argue with ROC Dept. of Survey, be my guest.

What foreign powers are negotiating with China for control of Taiwan? :unamused:

What foreign powers are negotiating with China for control of Taiwan? :unamused:[/quote]’

Yeah any why are all foreign powers negotiating with China? I didn’t know the Congo, Uzbekistan, etc etc had a vested interest in Taiwan. Wierd.

Seriously, if China had such little influence on Taiwan, why did Japan seek China in an Unfair Treaty for Taiwan.

Why didn’t they approach the Dutch or the French?

Even looking at the culture on Taiwan, I don’t see many families speaking Dutch or French at home. Let alone look like they are Dutch or French. No Dutch or French holidays on Taiwan either.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Seriously, if China had such little influence on Taiwan, why did Japan seek China in an Unfair Treaty for Taiwan.

Why didn’t they approach the Dutch or the French?

Even looking at the culture on Taiwan, I don’t see many families speaking Dutch or French at home. Let alone look like they are Dutch or French. No Dutch or French holidays on Taiwan either.[/quote]

If Taiwan were an intergral part of China then why does China have to prove that to the rest of the world. The fact is that even on Chinese maps 400 years ago Taiwan was not considered a territory of China.

If the KMT had stayed in China and fought their last battles to the death over there then China would have no interest in Taiwan. However, the PRC’s aim was to wipeout the KMT in case they ever became a threat the the PRC. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: IMHO