Lab Grown Ivory and the Trade

I think we would have to replicate the entire structure required for producing the stuff, which would be an elephant? Seems not worth it, but I’m no biologist, maybe I’m wrong.

Otherwise we could just make it synthetically, which is already being done.

synthetic ivory is just plastics.

You don’t need to clone an entire elephant, just the part that grows the tusks. I bet it can be a continuous process where tusk material is produced constantly and removed at regular intervals.

1 Like

Already factory made and can be bought online, although not the real thing. Or at least that’s what I’ve heard ahem

Cool idea so long as it doesn’t play against actual conservation.

I can’t imagine we could produce a part of an elephant that produces ivory and have it producing ivory while being detached from an elephant. How would it stay alive?

same way they’re growing lab grown chicken or beef. They aren’t growing an entire cow or chicken for this.

Just like we can basically 3D print scaffolds and then insert stem cells into it to clone just an organ that is fully compatible with the patient (since it is his own DNA).

It’s not the same for reasons I explain above, of that much I’m sure. Anyway count me skeptical, but ready to be proven wrong!

It seems interesting. though my guess at first glance would ve more a mineralization process or eletrical type thing more than like a meat cell culture. Ivory is hard and dense and would take time, unlike lab meat which is just cell cultures then factory processes to get textures right.

To be fair, there are already many suitable alternatives. I think it is safe to say the value put on ivory, like so many products, is due largely to endangered animals and killing shit. There is a sick pleasure in it that cannot be replaced by common sense technological progress…

It’s totally different. And totally difficult. Parts of the enamilization process are still completely mysterious

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Growing cougars in the lab

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17853422/

Human tooth culture: a study model for reparative dentinogenesis and direct pulp capping materials biocompatibility

2 Likes

Interesting, I can’t really understand it though.

You may need to chew on it for a while.

1 Like

I haven’t even tried to read it.

if they can produce ivory in lab, they surely make human teeth in lab.

It’s the same stuff! I can’t work out what the process is they’re referring to.