Labor Insurance - Emergency

Hello everyone,

I need any/all advice I can get with this frightening life situation.

I’m a legal full time buxiban teacher with an ARC. Two weeks ago, I lost my voice within 1 day. I’ve been to 4 doctors and have been told it’s a severe vocal chord infection which started with a cold. The doctor insisted I don’t speak or whisper for weeks, and therefore, not teach. He said if I don’t heed his advice, the problem could return in full and incapacitate my voice for even longer and do permanent damage to my voice. So I’ve been out for two weeks now. My voice is returning, but he insists on waiting another week. However, I can’t afford it. My buxiban isn’t offering any sort of help or compensation.

My question is - do I have any options with regards to pursuing labor insurance or compensation from the government or my workplace? Other than having a “cushion” of money stored away, what are the options in Taiwan to financially deal with these kinds of emergencies? I’m in a rather desperate situation, and the worst outcome of this could be going homeless or being forced to return to the U.S…

Thank you in advance for any help you might offer.

Sincerely,
Nick

How long have you been teaching at the school? I know when I ended up in the hospital for a week, I got some money from labour insurance but I can’t remember how much. It definitely wasn’t at my full salary.

The school I worked at took care of it. You may need to go in and ask them about it.

I’ve been at the school for about half a year, and I’ve been teaching in Taiwan for almost 2 years. This school, Gjun, has offered no help or information regarding the issue.

I believe I qualify for “accidental occupational labor insurance”. I do pay, and am under, labor insurance, and I have an official note from an otolaryngologist stating that the infection from a cold spread to my vocal chords due to the excessive talking required from teaching.

english.mol.gov.tw/cgi-bin/siteM … e=52fc7b86

Does anyone know how or where to apply? I can’t seem to find it. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or know for certain whether or not I qualify?

[quote=“gryphox”]I believe I qualify for “accidental occupational labor insurance”. I do pay, and am under, labor insurance, and I have an official note from an otolaryngologist stating that the infection from a cold spread to my vocal chords due to the excessive talking required from teaching.

english.mol.gov.tw/cgi-bin/siteM … e=52fc7b86

Does anyone know how or where to apply? I can’t seem to find it. Has anyone been in a similar situation, or know for certain whether or not I qualify?[/quote]

I’m sorry if I’m not helpful. I’ve never been in a similar situation, and I don’t know where to apply. I’ve stayed confused and ignorant about labor insurance and related issues for years, but I did find some information of an indirect sort on page 7 of a PDF document called Taiwan Labor e-Quarterly, the September 2014 issue:

[quote]Hotline for occupational accident consultation:
0800-001-850
Contact information for OSHA’s
Occupational Accident Labor Protection
Division
Phone: 02-8995-6666 ext. 810
Address: 11Fl., South Block, 439 Zhongping
Road, Xinzhuang District, New Taipei City

I hope this helps, or at least doesn’t do any harm.

But what I hope more is that someone will give you the precise information that you need to get benefits/compensation.