Labour Affairs Requirement: 4 years degree

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

I’m in the process of renewing my ARC, but have just been told that I will be rejected because I only have a three years University degree.
Actually I used my honours degree document to apply, but it was rejected because it said one year honours degree. I can not use my BA degree either, because it says three year degree. (even though this means that I studied 4 years)…
I have a Masters, but the documents are still in a box somewhere in Home Country. I guess I can ask Mum to go dig for them, but hope that it won’t come to that.

One of my co-workers got her renewal immediately, even though she has a three years degree, just because her documents didn’t have the words three years written on them.

Somewhere somehow someone put this 4 years thing into the requirements, which basically means I’m screwed now. My 7 years of studying and two years teaching experience in Home Country, as well as my four years teaching experience in Taiwan, don’t seem to be helping me too much.
Help appreciated. :notworthy:

I think it’s always been a requirement, it’s just that the government officials don’t necessarily know what is a 4-year degree and what isn’t. For example, I’ve seen people here with just junior college degrees (2 years) and degrees from secretarial colleges and schools of massage (!)having their credentials accepted, but people who really have a 4-year degree being refused. The funniest example, though frustrating, is when a degree is rejected because it’s in Latin. True, Harvard, Yale, Oxford, and Cambridge print their degrees in Latin, but obviously the Taiwan Education officials in charge of deciding who gets to teach English here don’t see many of those.
Good luck.

Yep, it’s just funny that I got my ARC on only the honours for the previous 4 years, and suddenly they’re moaning about it. Actually two of my co-workers have the same problem now…The most bizarre case is the guy who has been working here for more than ten years and who is suddenly being told that his degree isn’t good enough.

What are we supposed to do now? :help:

This is incredible. I think the best way to deal with the issue is to take it to the media.

It took me five years to get my BA degree and another year to get an honours degree in the same subject. Does that make it better than a four-year one? I thought it was just because I’m a slow learner.

p.s. Do all countries have such a thing as an honours degree? When I got my first degree (in China) it was just pass or fail.

[quote=“bababa”]I think it’s always been a requirement, it’s just that the government officials don’t necessarily know what is a 4-year degree and what isn’t. For example, I’ve seen people here with just junior college degrees (2 years) and degrees from secretarial colleges and schools of massage (!)having their credentials accepted, but people who really have a 4-year degree being refused. The funniest example, though frustrating, is when a degree is rejected because it’s in Latin. True, Harvard, Yale, Oxford, and Cambridge print their degrees in Latin, but obviously the Taiwan Education officials in charge of deciding who gets to teach English here don’t see many of those.
Good luck.[/quote]

Actually my friend got a work permit based on his degree which was written in Hebrew - he simply gave a translation along with the copy of the degree.

LIE LIE LIE…it works!

I know of a few people who have 2 tear College Diplomas.
Went to the Ministry andsaid they were 4 years of whatever.

But, I guess if yours said “3 Years” on it, it would be hard to say it was 4 years.