Lack of delayed green

I think my students also call that color yellow. I think.

Plugging 黃色 into Google Image Search seems to yield some orangey results along with the yellowy ones. Then again, so does the English word yellow.

There’s a card game called Rook that used to have yellow cards that looked orange to me when I was a kid, but I see online that nowadays they’re yellowier (well, maybe, maybe not).

It’s a mystery. :ponder:

In Canada we call them yellow lights

I’ve always called them orange but I’m from kiwi land.

Well, some say Japanese call the green one ‘blue’…

It’s called the yellow trap.

2 Likes

Unfortunately i cant do anything about it. Not because i am not passionate about traffic flow, but because i am a foreigner.

I can only complain about human rights/discrimination/foreigner issues.

Lets get dual nationalty on the books first and then we can help participate.

More than anything, dual nationality should be something you guys want to participate in as well. Financially, intellectually and with time too.

5 Likes

I’ve def seen green lights that are more on the blue side of things. Like a greenish-blue.

Could get into a long Sapir-Whorf discussion about how many color words your language has for green-green blue vs green-blue blue and how that affects your color perception. If Japanese has a word for a “green that’s more blue but still green but actually more blue” maybe it’s easier for them to translate it to blue. But I don’t speak Japanese and some would say the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is bs.

1 Like

I know EXACTLY what you mean, and have definitely narrowly avoided disaster. These lights, oddly, also seem to have an “advanced go” without actually having any indication of it. So you can turn left AS SOON AS the light turns green and before the oncoming traffic gets the green light, but there’s no left turn arrow and no countdown!
Two noteable intersections for this include:
Minquan E Rd, westbound at Ruiguang Rd, trying to turn left (as if towards the gas station)

FuYuan Rd, trying to turn left onto Minquan Bridge.

I haaaaate it. And you only know that’s how that light functions by learning the hard way. As if signage or turning arrows don’t exist?? They are terrible, terrible design flaws.

Oh, but they might throw up a “caution, high accident zone” sign :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I don’t want dual nationality… One is enough.

No worries. It should still be an option for everyone. Enabling dual nationality is simply something that increases choice for those who need it.

2 Likes

if it is around school, parents association could do something sometimes.

But the reason it’s not done is because it’s not a priority, at least not to the locals.

Look at how effective at things when they want to be, or when it’s actually a priority (not stated priority, that’s different, politicians are artists when it comes to doublespeak).

There are lights like this Kaoshiung and if I remember right on major roads in Taipei . Some streets also not allow any turns.

Exactly. I’ve been meaning to write this post for a while and finally did because it happened to me in another city at a new intersection.

Wow, there’s a name for it. Thanks so much @Marco
That’s exactly what I was talking about

2 Likes

Orange trap

Am I the only one who thought this thread was about delay on deliveries of, you know, “green goods” due to coronavirus?

When I was teaching kindergarten I would ask “Red light ?” A chorus: “Stop!”
“Green light ?” “Go!”
“Yellow light?” “Go Faster!”
Followed by tearful insistence: “But that’s what my daddy always does!”

3 Likes

Are you sure?

I was taught that green means go, yellow means go faster and red means go anyways

I actually had a Taiwanese friend come visit me in the US who asked me what “STOP” meant, then proceeded to show me the picture of the stop sign they had taken. Exactly the same shape, color, and size as the Taiwanese one, did you ever notice that it says “停”? (actual answer: no)

1 Like

To be fair, most intersections you are supposed to stop at dont even have a stop sign

1 Like