Lai2 lian4xi2 ni3de pin1yin1 ba! (Forumosa Pinyin Chat Room)

Bu - I’ll give it a go again one of these days. The day I get all my Windows systems properly networked along with the Chinese/Japanese IMEs all working, is the day the planets all align. :wink:

download.com/3000-2064-10059 … egacy=cnet

Office XP Tool: Global IME (Simplified Chinese)

Download Now
Free download 8.57MB
More download links
Downloads: 21,748
Publisher: Microsoft
Date added: May 31, 2001
License: Free
Minimum requirements: Windows 98/NT/2000
Uninstaller included?: No
Estimated download time: 00:21:57 Dial-up (53.3 kbps)DSL/Cable (384 kbps)DSL/Cable (768 kbps)T1 (1.5 mbps) Clock this download

Bu yao. (I don’t want to.)

Ruguo ni yong XP, bu yong hua shijian xiazai ta. XP yijing you la.(If you use XP, you don’t have to waste your time downloading that. XP already has it.)

O, hai you yijian shi. Microsoft yao qu si. (Oh, one more thing. Microsoft can go to hell.) Tamen de ta ma de ruanti you tai duo chong, ye you tai guai you tai bu jiangu. XP cai shi bi yiqian de Windows hao, danshi nayang shuofa hen xiang shuo shei shi shijieshang zui gao de zhuru. Ta ke shi zui gao de, danshi hai shi ge zhuru. (Their bloody software has too many bugs, is too expensive, and is too unstable. XP is better than previous Windows’, but saying that is like saying someone’s the world’s tallest midget. He may be the tallest, but he’s still a midget.)

weishemo bu yao? zheyang ni de zhongwen cai hui jinbu bendan!

(why not? This is how you’re going to improve your Chinese! you idiot!) :smiley:

ta ma de shi zanghua ma?

(Did you swear, Tetsuo?) :astonished:

Na jiu shi guanyu chengdu de shi la, wo bu jiao tamen zuo “kundan” ne (It’s all a matter of degree - I didn’t call them a shower of assholes, did I.) :wink:

呵呵,鬼画符,拜拜了。

I just feel it is ridiculous to use pinyin in this way.

When some Chinese are learning English, they use Chinese characters to mark the pronunciaton of English, such as 拜拜,三克油。

Will this work when you hear this kind of English?

Shengmar why is it ridiculous? Because you’re not used to seeing it? Well, nor am I, but it seems to be working pretty well don’t think?

I don’t really get your other point, because 拜拜 and 三克油 are two different things. One is a bona fide Chinese word meaning either worship or goodbye (the latter having been borrowed from English); the other sounds nothing like the word it is intended to represent and is presumably only ever used as a joke.

Gawd, Shengmar, I don’t think you’re a professional teacher of ANYTHING.

Chinese may use characters to “mark” the pronunciation of English, but professional teachers of English use a handy tool called the International Phonetic Alphabet, which accurately represents the sounds of English words (or those of any other language, for that matter).

RenhE ZiSHUO Shi ZHONGweN laoSHI de* reN YINGGAI nenGGou Kandong Hanyu PINYIN. Hanyu PINYIN Shi guOJi BIAOzhun Xitong.

Ni Zui hao Yao ba ni youminG de* 20 Ye wenZHANG Yong Hanyu PINYIN chonGxie, YINWei women* Bu XIANGXin RenhE ZHONGguO reN Hui Yong PINYIN!! :raspberry:

Wo shishikan yong pinyin xie zhege keshi wode pinyin buguo hao (I tried to say this in pinyin but actually my pinyin isn’t good enough).

Iron lady are you using upper and lower case letters to indicate tones? If so brilliant idea and how does it work? :notworthy:

Shengmar ni yinggai liaojie pinyin xingrong guoyu de fayin. Ruguo women yong pinyin, dangran women de guoyu jinbu. Wode zhongwen yijing jinbu. (Shengmar you need to understand that pinyin describes the pronunciation of mandarin. If we use it to communicate of course our Mandarin will improve. Mine has improved already)

At this time, hanyu pinyin is extremely helpful in China and increasingly helpful in Taiwan to non-native speakers. I think this movement towards uniformity is excellent.

However I still think s’s should concentrate on improving character knowledge (particularly sight knowledge) rather than focusing on practicing pinyin, a skill which is easily mastered in a number of weeks.

Also, since one is in Taiwan (presumably) already, rather than typing pinyin back and forth to other non-natives, why not open the front door, head to the nearest noodle stand, and strike up a conversation with the laoban?

Having said all that, if some people are pinyin gung-ho, and it rings their bell while nothing else does, then hells bells, go for it!

Ruguo ni hui lianjie fayin gen pinfa tamen dou bi jiao rongyi jide. (If you can connect spelling and pronunciation they are both easier to remember). Women you hao duo jihui leinxi women de dui hua. (We have lots of chances to practice our converstional skills) Xianzai dui wo zhege banfa bijiao youxiaode (Right now I feel this method is more effective.)

A pinyin lymric by miltownkid

Wo juede ni mama hen pang
keshi dajia shuo ta zhen hao bang!
wo qu chu zhao ta
dan peng jian ta mama de ma
ta shuo “wangle chi yi dian binglang”

ah thank you :slight_smile:

Zao4zi4mian4 de xiangfan zi shi shenme. (What is the opposite of literal?)Wo zhi zhidao biyu de keshi biyu de yisi shi metaphorical. (I only know biyu de but biyu de means metaphorical) Wo xuyao yige zi cabuduo gen biyu de yiyong keshi baohan fengci, kuazung, anshi etc. (I need a word similar to biyu de but one that includes sarcasm, exageration, hint etc.) Metaphor zhi shi yige naizhong de figurative speech (Metaphors are just one kind of figuarative speech.) Dong wode yisi ma? Xie xie.

This is also a way of practicing your pinyin

I suggest this link may be tried.

chinese.cari.com.my/ime/py21000.html

If you have typed the wrong pinyin, you can never get the right Chinese characters.

Shengmar, don’t be an ass. He wants help with terminology, not to be told he has to type in characters - which he probably doesn’t know - and especially not simplified characters. How many goddamned times do you have to be told to show some respect and stop trying to force simplified characters onto everyone here?