Landlord help - what are my rights?

Hi! I have a rather ‘jiche’ landlord and I’m trying to move out. She’s claiming that (1) there was a very expensive electric fan when I moved in (2) that if I move furniture I have to move it back.

There wasn’t a fan, I had to buy my own - what do I do if she continues to claim this? Do I need to buy a new one? How much can she claim?

I did make a verbal agreement to move the furniture back since I didn’t want to talk with her any more than absolutely necessary, since she kind of sucks. What are my rights? What are my responsibilities? She’s pretty angry at me for saying now that I won’t move the furniture back. I am maybe a bit of an asshole here but I think if it’s that important she can do it herself. She’s claiming it’s the law, and she’s rented for years and never had someone move the furniture like this, and it’s all apparently because I’m a foreigner.

Thoughts/help? Please?

Why can’t you move the furniture back?

She should have written a list of contents before you moved in that you then signed. I assume this didn’t happen?

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m gonna cave on the furniture. It’s a lot of furniture and difficult in a small studio, and I also don’t think it’s my responsibility, but I don’t think it’s worth it to argue.

No list of contents. She is further claiming it needs to be a tall, white fan and it was very expensive. I offered to give my fan I already bought (since the apartment didn’t have one…) And she says absolutely not.

If you could move the furniture in the first place then you can move it back.

As for the fan, have you offered a replacement in writing (text message etc)? That’s admitting that there was an expensive fan when you moved in. Do not do that.

1 Like

Just move the furniture back, if you have a lease there’s likely a clause where you have to return the place as you found it. Consider yourself lucky she’s not looking for the place to be repainted etc. If there was no signed list of contents in the contract then the fan, or indeed the furniture, didn’t exist. Did you handover a deposit in the beginning?

1 Like

I handed over a deposit but she used it for my last months’ rent. I offered a fan not as a replacement but as a compromise since I’m not using the one I bought in my new place.

She keeps finding new things as I’m writing this… The washing machine was apparently brand new when I moved in and there’s something wrong with it.

Like you said @SuperS54 I think I will stand my ground. If the furniture and its state was never outlined then I don’t owe anything.

Sadly I deleted the few pictures I had taken when I moved in but she has no pictures to claim anything else, either. Very much a learning experience about renting and landlords…

Personally I’d move the furniture back, even if the landlord was a dick.

Assuming you haven’t broken or taken anything then, without a deposit, there’s really nothing to worry about. Get a witness to you handing back the keys and just leave.

1 Like