Language that should be banned

Isn’t it New York because it is named after the original British York anyway hence it’s the ‘New’ York.

Apparently it’s named after the Duke of York.

1 Like

To be fair they do say British virgin islands and American Samoa

1 Like

Well, to distinguish them one from the American Virgin Island (almost always forgotten about) and the other from the country of Samoa.

I think you got it backwards. Would be British New York, American Ottawa, American London

British New Amsterdam.

2 Likes

maybe I am confused, but what I meant was we can reciprocate in their dumb name games until they show us basic levels of respect in regards to names. but then the same rabbit hole of repetition gods on based on chinese war mongering, taiwans fear, Taiwanese dont stand up because death and rape are scary and not cool, so the circle goes. but as individuals we could also just blatantly disrespect them by calling them XYZ name like we get called. if anything, just to prove a point. Not with actual emotions. I bet the first nations from our country get my point and are annoyed to all hell about their lands being called whatever. similar thing, but far more serious here given the war issue and basic numbers.

Pangean English.

1 Like

China claims Taiwan.
China insists Taiwan call itself Chinese.
Therefore: Chinese Taipei.

US at one point attempted to invade Canada and claim Canada. US is bigger neighbour.

Therefore: American Ottawa.

US split from UK.

UK once had a claim on US.

Therefore British New York

Yes…Thus we call them those names until we get our respect as being Taiwan not taipei, chinese and etc :slight_smile: A loving way of pointing out the ignorance to people.

We could, on the flip side, call big cities by their original names. But for many a canuck, using original name is already a “whatever”, like Haida Gwaii. Commkn and not important. better shit to think about, just a name. the difference is recognizing the Queen Charlotte’s, as such, doesnt ego hurt a specific fragile nation with nukes that threatens war over absolutely nothing like using “Queen Chatlottes” vs “Haida Gwaii”. The absurdity is so comedic it is lethal.

And Hanyu Pinyin.

Tongyong is a mistake that should be erased from memory.

Hence “Derry” vs. “Londonderry”.

Hanyu Pinyin is a commie creation.

1 Like

Yeah but a war was fought (and won) to remove the UK from the US picture

Yeah, but tbh it works better than most older methods. Zhuyin is ofc better, but u need to learn the “scribbles”. Pinyin very immediately albeit imprecise in many cases

As a non-resident of Taipei, it bothers me.

3 Likes

Please give ONE example of pinyin being imprecise. Just one.

You just wait till those war canoes appear over the horizon.

It really depends on your native language, but for me , as an italian speaker, ci, zi, chi, zhi, ji are all quite similar, especially ci and zi. Then here in TW chi and zi (and ci a bit) all the same. Zhi and ji too. Quite confusing.

Also not so immediate to understand when or not to put the -g after and n (like chan vs chang). I know the character, but never remember if with or without ending g

With all due respect, that’s a simple matter of your training in pinyin and a choice not to learn the intricate differences in “Chinese phonics” through pinyin. There are no two languages that use the Roman script wherein those symbols represent exactly the same sounds, and pinyin is no exception. If you actually learn pinyin correctly, rather than zhuyin from a high up on their “everything China bad” soapbox Taiwanese teacher (or an equally “everything chicom bad” foreigner) who misspells 50% of their words in some sort of bad attempt at romanization because they don’t know, you will find that pinyin is a very precise representation of the spoken Chinese language. There are no sounds in Chinese that pinyin does not make explicitly clear. If you can’t “see” the difference between “an” and “ang” in pinyin, it is because you aren’t hearing the difference between the two sounds when the language is spoken to you. Having “ㄢ” and “ㄤ” “show” you the difference does absolutely nothing for your comprehension. You’re only going to know when the use a “g” if you’ve heard the “g” at the end of word enough times to know that it’s supposed to be there. A different representation with a scribble is merely a different representation with a scribble.

You say you’re Italian, but you’re posting in English, which means you also know English. I know, as someone who has attempted to learn Italian, that Italian phonics are a far cry from English phonics. But no one said “oh, Italian words are spelled ‘imprecisely’ compared to English words; you should really learn this other scribble system instead”. There is a reason the vast, vast, vast majority of the world’s written languages use a Roman script — there are small details to work out, but the overall sounds are close enough that you dont have to start from 0 every time you encounter a language that isn’t your own. There is wayyyyyyy too much other stuff to think about when learning Chinese to also add a totally different phonetic system to learn on top of everything else. To be clear, you’re welcome to use whatever system works for you, and zhuyin has its place if you live in Taiwan and already have decent Chinese proficiency, but please dont spread the Taiwanese lies that “pinyin isn’t as good as zhuyin”. It is literally exactly the same sounds, represented with different symbols. There is nothing imprecise or inaccurate about it.

2 Likes