Lanyu homestay and transportation. Homestays

Looking for contact info on home staying in Lanyu for 2 or 3 days sometime during Feb 3-13.

I’m looking for homestays in Lanyu because I have not been able to reach any of the three places with phone #s in Lonely Planet, and “Teresa’s” TBunnyTeresa@yahoo.com does not work. I also want to hear anyone’s experience flying to Lanyu on Daily Air, or any experiences at all during CNY. I hope to go for 2 or 3 days between Feb 3 and 13. I speak Chinese rather well so staying with a non-English speaking family is a good option. But trying to read Chinese webpages is only doable very slowly, but go ahead and refer me to Chinese pages if no English.

I am also interested in Lanyu activities, most importantly how to get around.We would consider Green Island, Little Liuchiu, or Turtle Island instead.

We are also interested in the South Cross Island highway, Kending, and perhaps Rueisuei during this time.

Any info on homestays with Chinese-speaking families in southern or eastern Taiwan appreciated. I have been searching on 民宿but it is really slow using Chinese.

Stuart

I moved your other post on minsu here.

Enhui Minsu is still the best homestay if you want a great Lanyu experience including a chance to see underground houses, a night nature walk to see the scops owl and so on. 732 979

Hong Sheng B&B is also good. They have two places, one rather slick and modern: 732 462

Teresa, the nurse who’se mentioned, is a great contact but her email is wrong in the guide: tbunnyteresa@yahoo.com.tw

Getting around is simple. Your minsu people will meet you at the airport and provide scooters, or drive you back to the minsu and then deliver scooters. In Feb though it may be pretty cold and rainy.

There is no where to stay on Turtle Island, and in any case it isn’t open this time of year. The South Cross is also impassable by car, motorcycle, bicyle or even on foot.

Thanks; I was not using the right “89” prefix in Skype for 089 732 979 phone number for Enhui Minsu. I finally got through to them. I suppose Hong Sheng is 089 732 462. Yes, after I had posted I guessed that the “.tw” might have been left off Teresa’s email address, so I’ll just wait for her reply (since the cellphone given in the book, 0937 608 814, doesn’t work)

Are you recommending against Lanyu in February due to the weather?

New question: Do you recommend any accommodation (and other travel) review sites in Chinese?
(I can find sites to reserve B&Bs by searching on 民宿, but in English I am used to looking at reviews before booking. I am likely missing where the reviews are because my Chinese is barely good enough to struggle through websites, but there is obviously so much more available in Chinese.)

Can anyone recommend transportation/tour services, especially to Maolin, Kending, and Wushanding? (I am uncertain whether I’ll get my Driver’s License in time).

Also, do the Mud Volcanoes of WuShangDing make for a good trip?

[quote=“astrostuart”]Can anyone recommend transportation/tour services, especially to Maolin, Kending, and Wushanding? (I am uncertain whether I’ll get my Driver’s License in time).

Also, do the Mud Volcanoes of WuShangDing make for a good trip?[/quote]
The mud volcanoes make a worthwhile trip if you have the time and are in the area. But you’ll need your own vehicle.

I recommend couchsurfing if you cannot find a good homestay. Wish you the best of luck in Taiwan and hope you have a great time! :discodance:

[quote=“astrostuart”]Can anyone recommend transportation/tour services, especially to Maolin, Kending, and Wushanding? (I am uncertain whether I’ll get my driver’s license in time).

You need your own transport to Wushanding and Maolin. Barking Deer Adventures does tours to Maolin, but not over CNY.

The easiest way to Kenting is to take the HSR to Kaohsiung and then share a taxi, usually NT$400-500 per person. Or take a bus (very frequent).

For homestays check out eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=00 … keyString=^^^14

You can choose the area you want to do a search.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“astrostuart”]Can anyone recommend transportation/tour services, especially to Maolin, Kending, and Wushanding? (I am uncertain whether I’ll get my Driver’s License in time).

The mud volcanoes make a worthwhile trip if you have the time and are in the area. But you’ll need your own vehicle.[/quote]

How long of a trip is WuShanDing from Kaohsiung? Would it be a reasonable day trip from Kaohsiung, that would allow staying the nights in Kaohsiung, or would you recommend getting a hotel closer to WuShanDing? Can it be done in a regular sedan, or does it need a high clearance vehicle?

It’s probably an hour from Ktown. It would be pretty silly though to make a day trip just for this. Do a trip to maolin, overnight and watch the purple butterflies swarm the roadside in the morning (Taiwan is one of two places in the world where butterflies overwinter en masse) and then on the way back to Ktown drop in on Meinong and then Wushanding. Chris and I and a few others did this all in a day a few weeks ago.

Leaving Meinong take Hwy 10. I forget the exit to Wushandingn but Chris probably knows or any map should tell you. Then literally just follow the signs. Any car can make it as the way is paved.

We have decided to go to Little Liuqiu (Xiao Liuqiu) instead of Lanyu because winter is good there, but winter is often bad weather going to and at Lanyu. We are still looking at the southeast rift valley (followed by Highway 9) and looking to find where is best there.