LAOS and CAMBODIA

I am heading there soon to get away from this taipei weather, and wondering if anyone has some recomendations on spots to see, beaches to chill, places to stay or off the beaten track goodies? I have read the LP and looking for a trip to get away for a while. Have about a month so any help is all good.

Cheers!

Hello Hann. I went to Siam Reap last October for 5 days. Stayed at the Red Piano for a few days then moved to the Dead Fish Inn. I recommend you buy the 3 day pass to visit the Angkor complex. Our tuk tuk driver was really nice and he took us to the major temple sites. I loved the food at the Blue Pumpkin and Khemer Kitchen. Order their famous dish called “Amok”. If you want more info you can PM me. Enjoy your trip!

[quote=“Hann”]I am heading there soon to get away from this Taipei weather, and wondering if anyone has some recomendations on spots to see, beaches to chill, places to stay or off the beaten track goodies? I have read the LP and looking for a trip to get away for a while. Have about a month so any help is all good.

Cheers![/quote]

We did the BK-Siem Riep-PP-Sihanoukville-Trat-BK loop last CNY. The Angkor area is a highlight of my life, but we tried cramming far to many temples into 2.5 days and decided to bail on the third. Take your time and enjoy a few places, its much better than running about. Stayed at Two Dragons (as we knew the guy, who also has the Tales of Asia website, an sweet resource on SE asia). Very nice and cheap.

PP is interesting, although pretty sketchy at night (don’t ask), do not submit to the touts!, read up on your history and visit Tol Sleung and the killing fields to put your life into perspective.

Sihanoukville is dead, the way a beach resort should be. Beautiful on the water bungalows @ Cloud Nine on Ocheuteal Beach. Very nice and relaxing, jsut ignore the motodop nazis.

Actually maybe you’ve noticed a reoccuring theme. Ignore the touts and scammers (especially that bastard at Poipet Immigration) and your life will be fine and Cambodia an incredibly enjoyable and beautiful place.

PM or repost if you have any specific questions.

Was just in Siem Reap a couple of weeks ago. First time in Cambodia. Fell in love with the place. One off-the-beaten I can certainly recommend is Kompong Phluk -the “floating forest” / village on stilts and island area in the Tonle Sap lake. Any tuk-tuk driver should know how to get there, but if you’re travelling with company, you’ll need separate motorcycles to drive down this 2km sandy spit that dips, drops, and droops its way precariously out into the Tonle Sap. Awesome place.

Sorry, forgot to add -that spit will take you to the dock, if you can call it that, and from there you hire a wooden dugout boat to take you on a ride.