Laptop: lease or buy?

My wife and I are freelance translators. I’ve got a fancy desktop machine that anchors our cute little home network, and she has a three-year-old Toshiba Satellite laptop.

We want a shiny new laptop. We’re thinking Dell. The notion of leasing, especially the part about not dropping a huge chunk of change on a new computer, is very attractive to us. We’d get a great machine, and at the end of two or three years we’d have the option to buy it outright for a dollar. Or something like that.

Leasing is also an expense to be deducted without dealing with the cumbersome aspect of depreciation (the concept of which I understand, but I’ll be damned if I can figure out how it works on the income tax form: we’re in Canada currently).

So tell me: why shouldn’t I go to Dell.ca right now and lease that sexy new Latitude? Eh? What would prevent you in my position?

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]My wife and I are freelance translators. I’ve got a fancy desktop machine that anchors our cute little home network, and she has a three-year-old Toshiba Satellite laptop.

We want a shiny new laptop. We’re thinking Dell. The notion of leasing, especially the part about not dropping a huge chunk of change on a new computer, is very attractive to us. We’d get a great machine, and at the end of two or three years we’d have the option to buy it outright for a dollar. Or something like that.

Leasing is also an expense to be deducted without dealing with the cumbersome aspect of depreciation (the concept of which I understand, but I’ll be damned if I can figure out how it works on the income tax form: we’re in Canada currently).

So tell me: why shouldn’t I go to Dell.ca right now and lease that sexy new Latitude? Eh? What would prevent you in my position?[/quote]

I’ll answer my own question: I’m not going to bother. I actually called them up and got qualified for an interest rate of 4.99% on a 36-month lease, but the thought of paying $65 a month for the next three years just doesn’t appeal to me. Don’t know why, it just doesn’t.

Interest is evil.