Large Dogs on MRT/HSR/Taiwan Transport

I am currently looking to adopt a larger dog (20kg) and would love to be able to incorporate him into our active lifestyle, however am not clear on if there are restrictions in place regarding the MRT/Taiwan public transport, that would make this difficult/impossible.

I have previously seen bigger/large dogs on the MRT on just a leash- albeit very rarely (maybe twice) and am wondering if it is possible to just bring a well-behaved, quiet, larger pet on board without question. I understand the MRT website lists that large dogs are only allowed on the Tamsui/Xinyi Line and in a carrier but are these rules actually enforced?

As my partner and I hike several times within a week, we would absolutely love to be able to bring our new family member with us on these adventures. We sometimes do travel out of city as well, down south. Our mode of transport is the MRT/Bus and occasionally the HSR. The reason why a pram/carrier would be an issue is because we often begin long hikes from one MRT station to then finishing at another location, making it impossible to bring a pram/carrier along with us.

Does anyone have any experience or success in bringing their big dogs around on the MRT and Bus in Taipei? What about the HSR? How do active individuals unable to drive bring their dogs along around the city/into deep nature?

I apologise if this topic has already been posted about. I was still left with many questions after reading the MRT manual and the last thread regarding this topic on this forum; everything I have read is rather vague… Just want an answer as clear as possible in regards to this as I want to ensure I can provide the best environment and lifestyle we can for the dog we are looking at adopting!

They had a trial period…early last year in which large dogs could be transported on the red line on weekends (holidays?) though containers were required and you needed to buy an extra ticket. I have no idea if it went beyond the trial but I have seen MRT employees ask people to put dogs in bags, zip strollers, etc.

Thanks for the reply! I did read something about this as well though frustratingly, there hasn’t been any information released about it since.

I just wonder how other large dog owners transport their dogs around the city all the time for hikes/trips if they don’t have a car or scooter… maybe some people just wing it and are lucky at times…

Thank you again for your reply, I really appreciate it!!

1 Like

No.

Large dogs set loose are not allowed on the MRT. Nor trains or buses.

And no, you do not wing it. Aside from a fine, you’ll end up on the news. And you do not want that kind of attention.

Only big dogs allowed loose are guide dogs. No “service animals” here.

There are special buses where dogs are allowed leashed and not in a carrier, mostly in Taipei City and on routes passing dog parks.

So you either buy a cheap car or one of those semi trailer prams like this one:

On that note, there is a pet fair in Nangang this weekend and they may have this kind of strollers plus they have a section devoted to pet friendly hotels and b&b.

Thank you for the response, it was very helpful!!

I would never bring any animal loose onto the MRT, I was speaking more in terms of leashed and muzzled but it’s understandable that there are regulations against that as well. It’s great to hear that there are some buses that allow leashed dogs though, I’ll definitely be looking into that!

And thank you for the information on the pet fair, I’ll check it out! We are for sure going to get a pram like the one in the photo for daily travel on the MRT but was just wondering if leashed and muzzled would be an option on the days we decide to go hiking or on trips as I am forever unable to drive due to medical restrictions and my partner doesn’t have a visa that allows him a license here for another couple years.

Thanks again for all the information! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

One more thing:

Pets are not allowed in many national parks and nature reserves, so check before going.

Enjoy

Oh and I can recommend a taxi driver whose specialty is driving pets around, yes, for leisure travel too.

I had no idea that there were bans on pets in many national parks and reserves! Thank you so much for the heads up!

The Taxi Driver recommendation would be great, very much appreciated :slight_smile: