Large US Bank Collapses - Are Cash Deposits Safe?

For news story linko:

“I’m on my way to the branch to find my money right now. Tried to transfer it out yesterday didn’t work. You know those moments where you might be really screwed but you’re not sure? This is one of those moments,” one start-up founder told the BBC.

So are large deposits safe in USA, how to know which banks are safe

FDIC insures deposits up to 100,000 dollars. Beyond that it’s anyone’s guess. I don’t know if there are any changes to FDIC insurance amount, but the whole point of FDIC is so people don’t make bank runs because of rumor of bank closure.

2 Likes

My company banks with them. Interested to see what happens. Our execs don’t seem worried.

1 Like

Hope your boss is right. Photo in the news stories showed worried people. I or company does not use the bank, but wonder about other banks.

That amount for that area is nit much, less than many peoples household yearly income, wow.

No large deposit is safe, since not insured. But generally large diversified banks are better, but you don’t really know before they collapse, so better spread capital between different banks, different countries, and different classes of asset.

This bank seems to only have two kinds of customers (startups + VCs) and one strategy to generate money from its cash holding. That wasn’t a stupid strategy btw, it just backfired because their customers (VCs) panicked.

It isn’t much, but remember FDIC was created in the 30s during the Great Depression, and 100,000 dollar was a LOT of money back then, I mean that’s probably the yearly salary of something like 1000 working men. So they covered damn near everyone except for the millionaires, and they have other arrangements similar to how billionaires have their own arrangement. The objective behind FDIC was to prevent bank runs or people storing money under the mattress (which there was a lot of, banks really screwed people’s trust back then) because money under the mattress isn’t going to help a country’s economy, and they needed people to stop making bank runs which was accelerating bank closure when it was already so bad that banks had to recall loans in order to stay afloat.

Insurance was 2,500 dollar back then.

The basic insurance limit represents the minimum insurance
coverage available to a bank depositor. The original limit was
set at $2,500 in the 1933 Act, but was increased to $5,000,
effective June 30, 1934. This limit remained in effect until
1950, when it was increased to $10,000 as part of the Federal
Deposit Insurance Act. The limit was next increased to $15,000
in 1966, to $20,000 in 1969 and to $40,000 in 1974. In 1974,
the insurance limit for time and savings accounts held by state
and political subdivisions was increased to $100,000;
2 Likes

FDIC insures up to 250k now.

11 Likes

16th largest and a very influential bank in the tech sector has a bank run and is taken over

Currently companies who have more than 250k there won’t have access to funds and many people won’t be paid

This is a big problem and worrying that other banks may collapse too

Some money wizard was saying months ago get your money out of banks now

Fdic ensures only up to 250k

Not a banker so not understanding it all but apparently the bank bought bonds with low yields and decided to sell 20 some billions of them and retain a loss of some one point 8 billion and then sell over 2 billion of stocks to offset

But news of this caused a bank run and then SVC bank had to sell more bonds to meet cash withdraws at further losses

So feds had to stop the run

No withdraw for you sir

Good to know? FDIC is a company?

Federal agency

This guy should go to jail:

Gary Becker, CEO of the Silicon Valley Bank that failed Friday, sold $3.6 million of his own shares in the bank Thursday.

Source: https://twitter.com/RBReich/status/1634609176692523008

Guy

8 Likes

There’s no magic here, banks take in deposits and lend them out to make a return. When the loans go sour, money is lost. People whose balance is under 250K are obviously safe, but for the rest, they’ll probably not gonna lose everything above 250K because the FDIC will sell some assets, but they will not be made whole.

I have to wonder why a person would have that much in a savings account at 0.00000001% interest when the stock market averages 6-9% generally. Yeah, you could have nothing if the stock market crashes, but your money over 250k isn’t worth anything if the bank fails either!

This is USD, not JPY. I have part of my money in USD earning guaranteed 4.5-5% interest. Plenty of banks offer reasonable rates.

Some USA banks pay 5% or more, in Taiwan on USA money some pay more than 4%

Bank of Taiwan rates

Maybe, but probably not for the shallow end facts this tweet provides:

Gary Becker, CEO of the Silicon Valley Bank that failed Friday, sold $3.6 million of his own shares in the bank Thursday.

How many shares does he still own? What was the percentage sold and how did he obtain those shares?

RR would like this kind of meaningless jab to push an early narrative.

1 Like

Yeah need the big picture

Silicon Valley Bank is not your typical bank. Only 2.7% of the deposits are fully covered under FDIC insurance. The bank is really where startups as well as some small and medium tech companies would deposit their money. And then you have the C level executives of those companies as well as part of their customer base. Silicon Valley Bank is also one of the very few banks who would extend loans (including mortgages) to tech people based on their stock portfolios, etc. All in all, if you think about it, it’s like a bank for tech bros, and because they are all so smart, they think that putting every single egg in one basket will not hurt them, because you know why, they are all geniuses!!!

3 Likes