Late pregnancy risks

If you are a woman, don’t wait. My sister leaves in a neighborhood full of ambitious career women, many of whom postponed kids until they achieved some life goal.

There are 4 Downs Syndrome kids —- on 1 city block alone.

What’s that supposed to mean? Having kids late means they’re more likely to have Down syndrome? That makes no sense. I know a lot of women who didn’t have kids until their late 30s. Four women who had kids (their first child) when they were 42-49 years old. For two of them, that was a menopausal surprise — they’d been taking adoption classes with the assumption that they wouldn’t be having biological children. All of the kids are perfectly healthy, high functioning individuals with no known disabilities (and they are all in families that have the resources to diagnose everything). An increase generally in people with disabilities in modern times cuz we’re pumping chemicals into everything? Sure. Having Down syndrome because your mother gave birth to you when she was 42? That’s right up there with “vaccines cause autism”. Certainly it’s a “high risk pregnancy” for the mother, but I’d like to see some science on that being a risk for the child.

2 Likes

Risks do go up as you age. In Taiwan, amnio is pretty common and they do a lot of ultrasounds, so I think they have ways of modulating the risk. Having children early also diminishes lifetime income and career prospects, so there are risks both ways.

4 Likes

Definitely better sooner than later for the mother and the father.

5 Likes

Just start a 529 when the kid is born and feed it regularly. That and all the other good advice. It’s hard to do without ANY debt these days, like federal loans, but most costs can be mitigated.

It’s a fact, whether you think it makes sense to you or not.

4 Likes

Unless you are in Iceland.
There’s no down syndrome in Iceland.

1 Like
2 Likes

It is incredible that you don’t know this.

Birth defects. Older women are more likely to have a baby with a chromosome disorder such as Down syndrome. If you are age 25, the chance of Down syndrome is about 1 in 1,250. If you are age 35, the risk increases to 1 in 400. By age 45, it is 1 in 30.

That is from webmd

4 Likes

Because people who are carrying a baby with Down Syndrome abort them. Only one or two born a year I just read so there are people with Down syndrome in Iceland.

1 Like

You may come up with anecdotes of older women birthing a healthy baby rather than a child with birth defects.

Those are statistical outliers.

Uh, no. Complications are more frequent with older parents, but healthy babies for those parents are NOT the statistical outliers.

7 Likes

Stanford says risk escalation of unhealthy pregnancy starts at about 30

Yeah, that’s sad. Government sponsored eugenics.

As mentioned in both the video I posted and the source you posted… the risk goes from 0.08% to 1%.

A 0.92% difference is not that big for one pregnancy and to call it ‘escalation’ is technically true, it’s misleadingly alarmist.

The risk for chromosome problems increases with the mother’s age. The chance of having a child with Down syndrome increases over time. The risk is about 1 in 1,250 for a woman who conceives at age 25. It increases to about 1 in 100 for a woman who conceives at age 40. The risks may be higher. This is because many statistics only report live births. They do not note pregnancies with chromosome problems that ended due to pregnancy loss.

So… if a risk of chromosome problems is 1%, you’re telling us 99% is a statistical outlier?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

Where did you get 250 to 1 from?

1250 to 1, right?

1 Like

My bad. Typo.

So your 0.4% figure is way off.

0.08 to 1 percent is a massive jump.

Still more likely to have a healthy kid at 40 but the risk is there.

1 Like

It was fixed. Thank you.

I must’ve missed the one in my walk to the MRT.

1 Like

You’re so pedestrian.

3 Likes