Latin, Hispanic, Mexican, Colombian Food/Groceries/Spices

Anyone knows where can I find Colombian/Mexican/Hispanic/Latin American food or spices…

??? Maybe a restaurant or a grocery store???

List what you are looking for. That would help us be able to point the direction clearly :rainbow:

[quote=“browny”]I have seen low-salt beans, natural peanut butter, and a variety of different Mexican food ingredients at Wellman’s in Tianmu. It is a small grocery store on Zhongshan Road close by the Taipei American School (on the same side of the street). It is located next to Subber’s and near Hess and Whose Books (just in case you know where those stores are).

In regards to low fat cottage cheese I have seen that item at Jason’s Marketplace at the basement level of Taipei 101. There is another Jason’s in Tianmu in the Dayeh Takashimaya department store. Also, on Zhonghshan Road Section 3 there is a bakery called Florida Bakery. You can buy low-fat cottage cheese there.

They have a small selection of other items that might interest you such as flour tortillas, salsa, etc. The only problem with the cottage cheese at both Florida Bakery and Jason’s Marketplace is the price.
A small container of the cottage cheese will cost you around NT$130.[/quote]

[quote=“Enigma”]The bulk pintos are in most traditional markets and grocery stores. They are pre-packaged in about 1 pound plastic bags and can be found with a large variety of other repackaged legumes. I haven’t seen navy or great northern though. Nama directed me to some canned ones but these are probably high in salt.

I also watch for the re-packaged navy beans so if you happen to spot some, I also would like to know where. I really miss some good old pork and navy beans. The Mexican stuff is difficult to find outside of Costco so I usually end up substituting some ingrediants or making my own salsa, cooking my own refried beans. Spanish style rice is a snap. Maybe if you share exactly what Mexican food you desire, I can help more.[/quote]

tortillas:

Flour tortillas are available at Costco (cheap), as are spinach & flour ones.

Corn tortillas are harder to find; they do have them at Wellman’s and G&G deli, both in Tianmu, but they’re pricey.

EDIT: See this post for fresh corn tortillas at Floriday Bakery(but you should call first to order them)

I hate to bring this thread back but I have searched and this is the only thing I can find. I am looking for an Indian market that sells, well, Indian food. This post was from Janauary and 5-6 months later, just want to know if it is still around? It’s a 4 hour drive for me so wanted to check.

Thank you.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]tortillas:

Corn tortillas are harder to find; they do have them at Wellman’s and G&G deli, both in Tianmu, but they’re pricey.[/quote]

I had a look for these at Neihu Costco last time I was there. Would you mind giving a few more details about which bit of the store they’re in? Is it the bakery bit, the freezers…thanks.

I bought some flour tortillas from the Tequilla Sunrise in Tianmu last weekend. 100 bucks for a dozen. I imagine they are cheaper from a store somewhere.

where is that? how was it?

where is that? how was it?[/quote]
They are just a few doors down from the Pig on Tianmu E. Road. It’s not great, but not terrible. I had a pretty good taco salad. And their margarittas are good.

[quote=“gcat”][quote=“Dragonbones”]tortillas:
Corn tortillas are harder to find; they do have them at Wellman’s and G&G deli, both in Tianmu, but they’re pricey.[/quote]

I had a look for these at Neihu Costco last time I was there. Would you mind giving a few more details about which bit of the store they’re in? Is it the bakery bit, the freezers…thanks.[/quote]

Sorry gcat, but I didn’t see this follow-up question until just now. As you descend from the 2nd floor, go past the breads, seafood, poultry and cheese displays, and the tortillas are on the back side of the last or second to last refrigerated bin before you hit the fruits and veggies.

Oh, btw, RTMart 2 in Neihu has canned garbanzo beans (chick peas) in the imported foods section next to the deli counter near the dairy products; the 松青 grocery near me also has it, along with refried beans.

And Proto_tw’s estore has refried beans, chili and Old El Paso
Taco Shells; not authentic Mexican, but with a little ingenuity you can at least make some TexMex out of the stuff. Wellman’s has 12 taco shells for $110, and Jason’s has the same for $93.

thanks dragonbones, i’ll have another look

Flour tortillas are unbelivably easy to make at home…all they are is Crisco (shortening), flour and water, after all.

There is a reasonably good recipe in the Wei-chuan Mexican cookbook (bilingual) available in Taiwan.

It took time and effort to track some of these down, so I thought I’d share this :

Mexican chile powders (ancho, chipotle, arbol, molido mild (=ground New Mexico mild)) and achiote paste bricks as well as hot sauces and more are available with very reasonable USPS shipping from spicesgalore1.com/.

Annatto seed (atsuete) is available in powdered form (NT$20 for a tiny 10 g packet) from the Filipino supermarkets on Zhongshan N. Rd. (Sec. 3, #'s 39 & 49) in Taibei, as well as both whole and ground in larger amounts from both mountainroseherbs.com and the eBay seller richsas, for about the same price per gram after shipping costs are included; there’s a separate thread on that.

Mexican oregano is available with reasonable USPS shipping from at least two eBay sellers including richsas and dagiftbasket; there’s a thread on this too.

Seeds for growing your own Mexican chiles (various kinds) and epazote are available from Reimer seeds.

This place has Canadian-made chorizo which looks like the Mexican stuff, not the Spanish type, for $650 per kg; they can also order corn tortillas and possibly some dried or canned Mexican chiles, acc. to the guy there, if you can get a group together to order a bunch; oh, and they have Manchego for $1300/kg.

They also have an interesting assortment of imported foodstuffs, mostly European:

P&P Food & Spices 東遠
Taibei, Zhong1zheng4 District, Jin1men2 Jie1, 9-14, 1F
金門街9-14, 1F
This street runs southwest off of Roosevelt, just southwest of Shida. Take Heping westward to Roosevelt; turn left, go about 200+ yards, and turn right; after a ways it’s on your left (small entrance, not well marked)
2365-0633

If you don’t mind buying spices on the internet you should check out Penzeys.com

They have quite a variety and are well respected. (Cookbook author Mark Bittman recommends them). I know they ship internationally, but I’m not sure on the price.

[quote=“schmmems”]If you don’t mind buying spices on the internet you should check out Penzeys.com

They have quite a variety and are well respected. (Cookbook author Mark Bittman recommends them). I know they ship internationally, but I’m not sure on the price.[/quote]

But they only ship by USPS express mail, insured. That means a 1.5-pound order worth about twenty bucks will cost you sixty.

For your perusal, they are having Spanish Week at City Super, from 10/21 to 11/7. A few highlights:

lentejas a la jardinera -lentils with veggies
albondigas en salsa -meatballs
cocido madrileño, fabada austuriana
assorted bean prepared meals, prepared paellas and ready to eat soups, like gaspacho
queso de cabra al romero -goat cheese
queso manchego -manchego chees
all kinds of Spanish spices on sale,
olive oils and tapas /olives and pickled veggies

Awesome! We just had my Dad´s cocido madrileño here in Mexico. Yum! :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads up – we´ll probably go get some of that manchego!

Another Spanish Week at City Super, from 11/22 to 12/5. You can load up on turron for Christmas, it is on sale.

Tomorrow - the 22nd- City Super will have paella at the Panchiao store.

On the 24th, in Panchiao and Tianmu, they will give out a Spanish cookbook if you buy more than 500 nts in stuff.

Cumin, btw, is available at Trinity Indian foods, diagonally across from City Hall MRT (you can run a search for their address here), as well as in Xizhi at Foody: Xizhi, Kangning Jie, Ln. 169, #23, 9F. The latter is an importer and wholesaler, not a retailer, but they welcome walk-in customers.