Latin music in taipei?

I’m a latino male currenty living in the USA. Will be moving to Taipei soon. I need to find out whether there are any bars in Taipei that play Latin Music (Salsa, Merengue, Etc. . .) If anyone has information on the subject or know of somewhere or someone I could ask, please reply!!!

What’s goin’ on, bro? There are a few places that offer latin music, but it ain’t gonna be what you’re used to back home. Most of it’s cheesy, pop, Ricky Martin shit. If you’re into the heavy stuff (like Poncho Sanchez, Paquito D’Rivera and Tito Puente, etc.) you’re going to be disappointed. But you can still find bands that will play some basic Salsa, Merengue, Cha Chas and Sambas. Probably one of your best bets, for now, is to check out CJW (Cigar, Jazz, Wine). There’s a group there that plays latin music there every Friday. I think they play on another night, too, but I’m not too sure when. There’s a guy named Roberto Zayas that sings and plays guitar with that group, and he’s pretty much the sole proprietor of Latin music in Taipei.

One thing I’ve learned about music in Taiwan, is that your CD’s quickly become your best friend. It’s unfortunate, but live music in Taipei is far behind that of most other major Asian cities. I’ve read that it’s pretty much impossible for foreign musicians to work here. Most of the foreign musicians in Taiwan are playing with fire. It’s usually only a matter of time before they’re deported. When the pool of musicians consists of only Chinese, somehow the western music loses it’s flavor. What do you expect, when there’s no one around to teach them how to play it right? I can really dig some of the traditional Chinese music, but the whole “pop” industry here is a joke. I’d rather they stick to their roots. If you want to know anything more about the scene, email me.

This message was a double post, but I just edited it. Sorry mods, seems like I’m always getting an error that causes me to do that. Please delete this one!

hello x pesado,

the only place where i had heard some elvis crespo and DLG is at Salsa Latina. Its more like a restaurant that serve tapas and all the rest, but you can still chill out and dance if you wish. not too crowded and nice! its down at fushing near the last stop of the mucha line.

mo joe,

could you please tell me where i can find that cigar and wine place you mention on your add? sounds quite interesting and a little bit of the good flavour is never bad.

thanks!