Lawyer to sue for losing his rights when he took PRC ID


QuestionÑ if he has never lived here nor worked here, how come he has a right to NHI and pension? He has never contributed a cent in taxes!

Not born here, lived and worked abroad all his life… oh, he had an ROC passport, and US one I bet. But he now goes back to teh mothership and accuses the Taiwan authorities of manipulating politics so they won´t let him in? Oh, karma is gonna hit him good…


That had to be changed!
So many people live abroad and don’t contribute a penny in taxes. Then, when they get sick, they come to Taiwan to suck the benefits of the others!
How long will this system support such abuse?


I thought NHI was tied to residency?


It is, you need to be here six months at least to access it I believe.

I also don’t think he would have any pension entitlement unless he contributed to a labour scheme here.

So it’s a fairly bullshit claim.


From the write up (which is by K-Man, so using it as a legitimate source is quite outrageous), he hasn’t worked a single day in Taiwan. Only spent a few years to study and then went to Eu and China. What kind and what amount of pension would he be entitled to receive by the Taiwanese government? The 1000$ Yang dollars just for being alive?

He’s a Chinese citizen born in China from Chinese parents, with a Chinese ID and a Chinese passport. Taiwan owes him as much money as Congo.

1 Like

Who wants to bet he is the son of general Blah Blah/minister Whoo Whoo or some other CKS pal and hence entitled to a military/government civil service 18% pension?

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


And hence the conundrum of carrying the weight of the ROC corpse…

Problem is that as soon as this logic is thrown out there, the elephant in the room might not be invisible anymore…

1 Like

"According to various online sources, he was originally a Nanjing native but escaped with his family to Taiwan when he was 12 before China fell to the communists.

He subsequently graduated from National Taiwan University with a law degree in 1958 and moved to the United States in 1971, where he worked at the United Nations until his retirement."

So he lived in Taiwan at least from 1949 until 1971.

Of course nobody bats an eye about the thousands of rich dudes who live in the States and then come back to have expensive dental work done in Taiwan at NHI expense.


Especially when junior can’t get his requisite pills and TCM packets for the sniffles anymore.


OK, fair enough, but like has he contributed to NHI since almost 50 years ago? Can he get a pension on say, working from 1959 to 1972? 12 years?

Worked in UN…sigh… that is why Taiwan can´t get in…


hmm, you have a point, not enough info available, I withhold judgment for now.


NHI hasn’t been around for 50 years. est. 1995


Not sure, I know many Taiwanese who live abroad(or more specifically in hk) and got NHI

They just make the payments every 3 months or so.

I know my wife, when we lived in hk, paid 8k ntd every third month


If hukou is active, can keep NHI. To keep hukou active, just need to enter taiwan with taiwanese passport once every two years. Right?


Really? I don’t think that would work as they can track if you’re a resident or not via exit customs.

But, if they are paying into the system who cares? It’s just like any other Zhong.


those taiwanese living abroad must keep their hukou active. For taiwanese, residency means active hukou. Once their hukou become inactive, they should wait for 6 months before getting NHI again.


How ? Many people fly in and out from tw every week. Say you fly to work on monday morning and back on friday evening, and some weekends you are too tired to fly home.

Point is, you cannot determine if someone is a resident solely based on customs stamps.


Ever filed taxes here? You get a form that shows your entrance and exit dates and calculates the number of days you were in the RoC. It’s a very simple thing for them to do.


If you exit by Taiwanese passport, and don’t enter by it for 2 years, you lose your hukou, residency.