Lawyers, Fakes, and Fake Lawyers

Are there any legal ramifications for pretending to be an attorney or practicing without license in Taiwan or the US?

I once sought legal advice from an individual in TW that advertises as a lawyer. This person often signs communications with Esq. and I believe has done so for years, but after a couple of consultations this person didn’t seem to be what they said, so I checked with both the university law school and the state bar association this person claims to be from. There is no record of any passing the bar. No record online either.

Outside of the obvious cornball factor of pretending to be a lawyer, are there legal repercussions for doing so?

thanks

I remember in one of my law classes that it’s not actually illegal to pretend to be a lawyer. It is however illegal to practice law if you’re not a lawyer.

1 Like

But it’s probably different state to state and country by country.

I think if you say you’re a lawyer and charge money, that’s probably fraud or something. But I don’t think many places have laws that make it illegal to tell other people you’re a lawyer.

Anyone can be an esquire in letters …at least I have letters with that …I think only the US uses it relative to Law . Maybe Taiwan is the same ?

No idea. I’d take your word for it. This person claimed to have passed the bar exam but there were no records when I checked their background.

I used to think Americans pretending to be into commonwealth sports and faking UK accents to appear highbrow were the vanguard of hipster pretentious but this would be next level.

I do like a spot of rugger, old chap

1 Like

Don’t worry @tempogain, I have toned it down from The Royal version , to a common Hugh Grant style . Papa will be turning in his grave :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Have to say that in Taiwan , a US accent seems to be more understandable. I know …it’s amazing :joy:

1 Like

I have a friend from Cork who sometimes entertains us with his Canadian accent, that he finds useful at times