Le Cordon Bleu kicked out

It’s not all smooth sailing yet.

[quote=“http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/06/04/2003647864”]
Plans by National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism and French culinary institute Le Cordon Bleu to cooperate would misuse public land and resources to fund an elitist “cram school,” union activists said yesterday.[/quote]

With tutition at one million, yep, I’d call it “elitist”.

Those prisions are written in a vague manner, such as to have the rug pulled from under while putting the blame on the Cordon Blue “for not following the rules”. Hard to do when rules are never specific or applied in the same manner. Sigh.

Yikes. While I selfishly hope that the Cordon Bleu guys can circumvent the ridiculous bureaucratic runaround, thereby creating more opportunities for culinary training here in Taiwan, I also understand why some profs would be concerned about using public university space for what is a clearly a for-profit enterprise. This is happening more and more around Taiwan though–every damn weekend it seems there’s a for-profit activity held on my campus, with scarcely a peep from anyone. :raspberry:

Guy

[quote=“yyy”]It’s not all smooth sailing yet.

Plans by National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism and French culinary institute Le Cordon Bleu to cooperate would misuse public land and resources to fund an elitist “cram school,” union activists said yesterday.[/quote][/quote]

These union activists are delusional. Any Taiwanese who wants training at Cordon Bleu would not substitute it for a local alternative - even if tuition was only half the price. Instead people who are willing to spend a lot of money would take it abroad, resulting in both money and talent leaving this island. Well done, union bureaucrats. :fume:

[quote=“yyy”]It’s not all smooth sailing yet.

Plans by National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism and French culinary institute Le Cordon Bleu to cooperate would misuse public land and resources to fund an elitist “cram school,” union activists said yesterday.[/quote][/quote]

:wall:

Unfortunatey, many unions here in Taiwan are xenophobic. Their interests are simply to protect the jobs of their members, whether it be nannies or culinary schools. They don’t have the global worldview to think, “Let’s import world class talent, work for them, learn from them, and rip them off”. Even that would show an open mind, if piratical. Alas, many of these unions have legislators who they support and who protect their positions.

Just saw this. Thanks to those posting this information.

Guess this must be why my friend went to Japan to join their course.

Ridiculous. Those damn foreigners always trying to teach the locals what they don’t need. When I lived in Singapore the locals would complain about so many foreigners taking jobs in Singapore. The govt reaction was to push the locals to learn more and become more qualified in various fields. Don’t see much of that happening here.

1 Like

[quote=“Flakman”]Just saw this. Thanks to those posting this information.

Guess this must be why my friend went to Japan to join their course.

Ridiculous. Those damn foreigners always trying to teach the locals what they don’t need. When I lived in Singapore the locals would complain about so many foreigners taking jobs in Singapore. The govt reaction was to push the locals to learn more and become more qualified in various fields. Don’t see much of that happening here.[/quote]

Really? I’ve always thought the Asian reaction to competition is to get rid of the competition, not try to be better than the competition. One Taiwanese guy I knew back home told me he would remove a job posting on a bulletin board if he was interested in it to remove the competition.