Leaving Taiwan for SE Asia

HCMC over Hanoi hands down. Hanoi is a polluted mess and not nearly as walkable as HCMC.

Jakarta has worse traffic than any other.

I’m not sure what English teaching salaries are these days, but if had to pick I’d go for Bangkok
The best food, lots of stuff to do in and around the city, easy to get around.

3 Likes

Hey bro, all these places feature their own version of chabuduo, so you should feel at home right away!

5 Likes

I just got back from HCMC. It is 40 years behind Taiwan but I do think there is much opportunity there. I’m in the supply chain biz. I see Vietnam as a viable move if China attacks. Even if we keep the status quo, I’m still interested in doing business there.
I sure did miss public transit like we have here. Here, I can take my car, my scooter, bus, MRT, youbike, or just walk it. In Vietnam, the Grab app (like Uber) is the best and quite cheap.
They are late on opening the MRT but it is coming probably end of this year or next. I was told that the rail is built but the money for the actual trains was squandered.
The people are brilliant. I think pickpocketing is a problem but not violent crime.
Pasteur Street Brewing and Heart of Darkness have excellent craft beer and food. The food is so good too!

12 Likes

Never been there but I’ve heard this as well…probably should’ve visited before I got married

4 Likes

@Andrew0409
Ooh ooh I’m actually thinking of moving to Malaysia in a year or two. Not because Taiwan sucks or anything, but because my fiancé is from Sabah. Would love to hear the above questions answered, but for Malaysia (in particular Sarawak or Sabah).

2 Likes

Where in Sabah?

1 Like

Agree with both. Pollution was probably the worst I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Air Asia has cheap flights from TPE to KK (but not the best flight times). That’s about all I can tell ya.

4 Likes

Kota Kinabalu

2 Likes

Yeah. I wouldn’t travel with Air Asia if you like souvenirs.

1 Like

I guess you’ve been and seen it? It’s not big. Would be a pretty quiet life.

2 Likes

KL and Bangkok are more liveable for young expats. But Vietnam needs English now as it economically transforms into industrialisation thus there should be teaching jobs there.

Here’s an idea! Why not set up an ELT centre or school there? If I were young I would!

1 Like

Here’s another great craft beer place with excellent food.

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen it. Kinda like my hometown I grew up in. But way hotter.

2 Likes

I like it a lot for a quick trip.

1 Like

I’m kinda wondering what I could do as a job there. I’m an engineer, but I might need to start teaching English or at some university since the engineer salaries there aren’t that hot. Either that or score a remote-work gig for some Western company. Petronas and Shell aren’t the best employers.

2 Likes

I hope maybe next year I can spend a month living in Vietnam. I really liked it there and the food was delicious.

2 Likes

A lot of talk about Vietnam. I’m not currently interested in moving there (I could see myself travelling though), but I’m curious for those who’ve tried to settle in Vietnam for a while how easy was it to learn the language and culture? Only reason I’ve been able to settle in Taiwan because I learned Mandarin and Chinese culture for a few decades, but it sounds like you can just pop into Vietnam and live a great life without much preparation(?)

1 Like

Sounds exciting - It’s nice to compare and contrast other parts of Asia with Taiwan, I appreciated some things more and some things less after trips through SE Asia.

3 Likes

vs Singapore vs Brunei vs Laos vs Bangladesh vs Sapporo vs Mongolia vs Jakarta vs East Timor vs as many places as possible.

Don’t leave anything out. Talk about everything everything everything.

Everything!

1 Like