Leaving Taiwan for SE Asia

Hi,

I’ve been in Taiwan for 4 years now & I’ve been itching to move to SE Asia (Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, HCMC, or Bangkok).

I’ve been teaching English here and recently got my PGCE & I’ll be doing the QTS to be a certified teacher. As soon as I get these qualifications, I’m off to SE Asia.

So, I just wondered if people had comments or thoughts or experiences on this. It’s a vague questions because I welcome all and any comments.

2 Likes

It’s hot there.

5 Likes

HCMC would be interesting, though haven’t read much here on English jobs there.
To me Vietnam reads like China in early 2000s in terms of economic growth and real estate soaring. I’d go there, among the 4, as I’ve been to HCMC before (same with Bangkok, but wouldn’t want to live there).

5 Likes

I was impressed with Vietnam when I went. It had a real up and coming feel to it.

8 Likes

I don’t know about Jakarta or HCMC because I’ve never been there, but I could definitely live in Bangkok or (to a lesser extent, probably) KL.

There are downsides of course, like the heat, traffic congestion, and often crappy public transport, but on the whole I could see myself enjoying living in those places more than I do Taipei.

1 Like

@Andrew0409 is our resident expert on Malaysia.

4 Likes

I feel like Vietnam is the up-and-comer

2 Likes

I agree Vietnam is where it’s at. Feels like Taiwan did about 20 years ago. If I wasn’t a decrepit old codger I’d be thinking of moving there myself.

Main downside, imo, is the Vietnamese language, which strikes me as a strong contender for “worst language” status. I’ve heard of people studying it for years and still getting blank looks when they order a beer or ask for a kilo of beans at the market.

7 Likes

It seems like most people agree, although I’ve heard a bunch of mixed reviews about Vietnam.

Namely, the people aren’t very nice & don’t like foreigners. They also don’t pretend to be courteous or polite.

Skip Saigon. Go to Hanoi. It’s great craic.

1 Like

Couldn’t be any harder than Chinese at least.

3 Likes

Hanoi is good, but the motorbike mayhem makes it unliveable for families, outskirts are polluted, no bikeways, pavements spotty, almostno traffic lights. If you like hiking and biking hard to beat Taiwan and Taiwans cities most of the time.
Girls are friendlier in SEA… single guy is better. Guys…it depends .

Vietnam you may get ripped off in shops regularly. I do love their cafes and food though.
I feel chatgpt can save us all this conversation lol.

4 Likes

what’s the biggest urge for leaving Taiwan? Might give some clues for what’s the best next step

1 Like

That’s why all the big noses all live in Tay Ho these days. It’s like tianmou but with a fuck off big lake and great pubs clubs and restaurants.

4 Likes

I had a completely opposite experience, people were extremely nice in Hanoi. Some families invited me to have tea, enjoy a picnic, and play football with them.

2 Likes

I think I was there once yep. Its ok but nothing compared to livability of citiesin Taiwan.

But Vietnam has that energy and the money!!!

Da Nang and Hoi An were my fave spits. Da Nang is very liveable.

6 Likes

So much bang for your Dong

It has the best food anywhere. Especially with the French bakeries as a bonus.

7 Likes

Hanoi is really polluted, is fine for a few days but no for living.

3 Likes

Hmmmm

5 Likes

I go there for business it can be tough enough.
It’s VERY hot in Summer.
But I do like the vibe.

1 Like