Leaving under shock Japan for Taiwan soon

This is just turning out to be a God awful mess for Japan. God bless em, and lets get those reactors stable pretty please (where is the "pray " icon? )

Icon is already praying.

good one icon. I join you in prayer. To see those vids and pics , the level of human suffering is really unimaginable for those directly affected. All the pets too, they too died. Families, even whole families are dead. Its just hugely tragic. How frail the human condition . And is worse to come? They are saying another quake near 9 could yet happen and this time closer to TOkyo as the quakes seem to be migrating down to tokyo according to one expert who predicts a similar sized quake in the next months or days or hours.

This is just horrible , horrible stuff. Seems the quake didnt kill too many but set the nuclear plants off, while the tsunami did the bulk of the killing.

The level of individual tragedy is beyond words. The scene of the two parents who were reaching through the destroyed kindy van to touch their dead young daughter shakes me to the core, as does the other pics and vids of utter destruction. Destruction that to those who were in it are of the End of Days variety.

FOr them it was, and for the survivors who watched the calamity unfold before their eyes, they will be forever scarred by this event and at that moment in time, it must surely have them convinced it was the End of the World.

Well, I don’t know how I can qualify our stat of mind here, I have only 40 hours to go before my airplane leaves for Taiwan, 40 hours only and I am not even sure about making it or not, because it might hit Osaka as well, tonight we got a big earthquake in Shizuoka, 6.4! And right after it, Osaka was shaking too, but much less.
When I will touch the ground in Taiwan, I think that I will feel much much better, I can’t wait anymore, it’s getting so hard here, to see all those video, all those people crying and in deep need… It’s even more shocking when you can understand Japanese, because the words that they are chosing are so strong and painful… My gf cries every days in front of the tv, she is taiwanese, but still, she is in such pain, like if she was japanese.
Now people are panicking in Tokyo, they are running out of food and batteries, there is nothing left inside shops…
I wish this to nobody in the whole world…

Those of us not there can not even really comprehend the terror of those in Japan. Specially those without basic necessities. Unimaginable. ITs virtually akin to WAR .

Nuclear accident now upgraded to level Six (out of Seven) in severity.

msnbc.msn.com/id/42084187/ns … ?GT1=43001

Terror, trauma, desperation and fears… Yes it’s pretty much what we are going through right now… It’s killing me so much to see all those people from this country, who adopted me for 8 years, going through hell! But I am really proud of them, even panicking and terrorised, they still wait in lines for their turn, they don’t raise their voice and they help each others so much. The same happening in my country would have made people turning bad. I love my people, but we do open our mouth too much and for nothing

I have been very very impressed with the Japanese people throughout all this. True class all around :bravo:

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … Japan.html

The Japanese are very organized and very socially minded. They are probably the best people to weather this type of calamity. Just the same its a disaster of huge scope. Japan needs to bite its lips and appeal for help ! The other developed nations should be invited in to help. Japan needs to shout HELP HELP.

Its OUR disaster too. The radioactivity and the damage to japan’s economy will affect us all.

[quote=“djstout”]Well, I don’t know how I can qualify our stat of mind here, I have only 40 hours to go before my airplane leaves for Taiwan, 40 hours only and I am not even sure about making it or not, because it might hit Osaka as well, tonight we got a big earthquake in Shizuoka, 6.4! And right after it, Osaka was shaking too, but much less.
When I will touch the ground in Taiwan, I think that I will feel much much better, I can’t wait anymore, it’s getting so hard here, to see all those video, all those people crying and in deep need… It’s even more shocking when you can understand Japanese, because the words that they are chosing are so strong and painful… My gf cries every days in front of the tv, she is taiwanese, but still, she is in such pain, like if she was japanese.
Now people are panicking in Tokyo, they are running out of food and batteries, there is nothing left inside shops…
I wish this to nobody in the whole world…[/quote]

I know, dear. We went through something like that -but not even close in scale- during Morakot. :frowning:

Looks like things are taking a turn for the worse. Not sure what they’re reporting over there but as of yestersay The USS Regan located 60 miles away is washing radioactive particles off the deck and Radiation has been detected in Tokyo.
According to one source if they cannot get the storage bld under control we are looking at another chernobyl X10.

Just wondering how the Taiwan media is reporting this as the people I have talked to in Taiwan do not seemed to be all that worried.

Are you in Taiwan yet djstout? Tons of foreigners are applying for re-entry permits in Japan in case they have to leave for awhile. Many airlines are having Seoul or HongKong stopovers so their crews can do a turn-around in TOkyo.

Most airlines are still flying but EVA Air has announced suspension of all Tokyo and Sapporo flights and a few others for the rest of March. Pretty drastic action.

search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ … 317a3.html

[quote=“bereal”]Looks like things are taking a turn for the worse. Not sure what they’re reporting over there but as of yestersay The USS Regan located 60 miles away is washing radioactive particles off the deck and Radiation has been detected in Tokyo.
According to one source if they cannot get the storage bld under control we are looking at another chernobyl X10.

Just wondering how the Taiwan media is reporting this as the people I have talked to in Taiwan do not seemed to be all that worried.[/quote]

We are OK here, so far. Media reports cover the range, from ridiculous to painful to adequate. Most people ae cautious, with an attitude of “wait and see”. Mostly, they are concerned about Japanese folks surviving in teh cold with limited food and supplies, plus scarier reports about the nuclear situation.

I know of some foreign groups evacuating from Japan to Taiwan, mostly because they are in zones without water and limited food.

Most experts agre that while serious, even teh worst case scenario would lie between Chernobyll and 3 Mile Island. Not a pretty picture, though. Let’s hope that while serious, and a wake up call to better safeguards and more responsibility, this incident will be contained soon.

Hey thnx, Icon. I truely hope everyting will be ok as I have loved ones in Taiwan and my heart goes out to all those dealing with this horribe travisty in Japan . Just trying to sort the wheat from the chaff as there are so many conflicting reports at this time. The truth will take time,as usual.

[quote=“tommy525”]Are you in Taiwan yet djstout? Tons of foreigners are applying for re-entry permits in Japan in case they have to leave for awhile. Many airlines are having Seoul or HongKong stopovers so their crews can do a turn-around in Tokyo.

Most airlines are still flying but EVA Air has announced suspension of all Tokyo and Sapporo flights and a few others for the rest of March. Pretty drastic action.

search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ … 317a3.html[/quote]

Hi everyone, yes I arrived in Taiwan, now I live in Kaohsiung. My gf did a wonderful job, she found me a flat (really big for cheap), scooter, soon internet and mobile number… She has been fantastic! It’s feels good to be here, nice weather and way from the stress (Japan). I felt so bad to leave Japan and all my friends there, and I do really hope that they will be fine soon. Staying in Japan at that time was something of a trauma, but I really really think that japanese are amazing, even during such a hard time, they remain calm and follow the rules. Half of my heart is still there.
But what really amazed me, is that yesterday we (Taiwan) also had an earthquake, I was on the top floor of a shopping mall (17th) and it was kind of scary, it reminded me of Japan and I was more panicking than everybody else :whistle:
Anyway, thank you to everyone for your concern!

[quote=“tommy525”]Are you in Taiwan yet djstout? Tons of foreigners are applying for re-entry permits in Japan in case they have to leave for awhile. Many airlines are having Seoul or HongKong stopovers so their crews can do a turn-around in Tokyo.

search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/ … 317a3.html[/quote]

Hi everyone, yes I arrived in Taiwan, now I live in Kaohsiung. My gf did a wonderful job, she found me a flat (really big for cheap), scooter, soon internet and mobile number… She has been fantastic! It’s feels good to be here, nice weather and way from the stress (Japan). I felt so bad to leave Japan and all my friends there, and I do really hope that they will be fine soon. Staying in Japan at that time was something of a trauma, but I really really think that japanese are amazing, even during such a hard time, they remain calm and follow the rules. Half of my heart is still there.
But what really amazed me, is that yesterday we (Taiwan) also had an earthquake, I was on the top floor of a shopping mall (17th) and it was kind of scary, it reminded me of Japan and I was more panicking than everybody else :whistle:
Anyway, thank you to everyone for your concern!

Glad to hear you like it here, even if the Island gave you a shaky welcome! Hope your stay will be pleasant and mostly unenventful.

Now, don’t be a stranger. Let us know how it goes. :wink:

I posted in another thread too but hey, djstout, I am really glad youre alright and as I said, welcome to Taiwan! I wish you the best!

Thank you all! Yeah the place is wonderful, really enjoyed my trip to Taipei a few years ago, and now I definitely love Kaohsiung too, really good people and food is amazing. I just have to adjust to the weather and … pollution