Left-right scroll fatigue

How come I need to scroll left and right in the forums? It’s like the page is just about an inch too big (too wide). It used to be OK. Is it just my browser (IE6) perhaps that’s the problem?

It’s only a slight incovenience but if it could be fixed…(?)

Yeah, it’s damned annoying.

Brian

How big is your window ? I think it happens on mine when the window is so small the forumosa logo and the banner are up against each other.

How big is my window? Well, it’s normal size. I don’t really know how to say in technical terms (cud get my ruler out if you like!)

The forums never used to need left-right scrolling.

I get the same problem and yes, it is a nuisance. It used to be OK for me as well.

I had thought it was an ‘issue’ with my browser, but if you get the same problem using IE then obviously it’s not.

This was a problem for me with Netscape 4.7 (which also crashed frequently when viewing Forumosa) but not with IE 5.x. However, since switching to Netscape 7.1, the page fits within a screen – unless someone posts an enormous image or a long URL.

BTW, Spack, in Windows, go to the Control Panel, open the Display dialog, and look at a few of the tabs until you find the one with the display size. That will tell you how wide your display is in pixels. Then you can guesstimate whether you’ve got your browser going across half the screen, all the screen, 2/3 of the screen, or whatever.

Mine is 1024x768, and I open my browser to nearly the full size of the screen, so the viewable length is about 950 pixels – no scroll bar at the bottom.

[quote=“MaPoDurian”]This was a problem for me with Netscape 4.7 (which also crashed frequently when viewing Forumosa) but not with IE 5.x. However, since switching to Netscape 7.1, the page fits within a screen – unless someone posts an enormous image or a long URL.

Oh, life is soooooo good.
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 0403092359[/quote]

This particular thread fitted within my screen until your post, whereupon the long URL stretched it and I now have a horizontal scroll bar. This is so in IE6, Firefox and K-Meleon but not in Opera which seems to have adjusted the text size to fit.

My display is 800*600 - I have it like this because any bigger and the Windows icons and text are all too small. I know you can opt for larger text but it’s inconsistent. Diagonally from corner to corner, my monitor’s screen is 16".

I only rarely had these problems until a couple of months ago - possibly at the same time that the basic, unelaborated phbb forum software was reinstalled, although I’m not certain. Now I get the horizontal scroll bar on quite a few threads. Gus, is there an option that forces automatic wrapping of long URLs or something like that? Can you think of anything that has changed?

If something has changed, and if it’s something that can be changed back easily, then maybe we could start a poll. If few people have this problem then just leave things as they are.

I’m viewing this on a dinky li’l laptop with Nestcape 7.1

No problems.

Oh, sure, it’s all my fault. :slight_smile:

Man. I had no idea people were using such small screens. When my box boots into 640x480 (@&#$ing Windows does that if the monitor is left off during boot) I start screaming in terror.

I’ve seen phpBB set up to trim down long URLs (don’t know if it’s a custom mod or an option in the core software). That would do it for the general case. I’ll edit my sig to eliminate the polar-bear picture link. :frowning:

Thanks MPD! It never occurred to me that it was my signature that was causing the problem. I’ve deleted a bunch of gifs and, hey, problem solved!
:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

It also happens when there’s a lot a chinese text with no spaces and your encoding isn’t set to Chinese, you just get one big long line.

Aaagh! No, Spack! Don’t delete the GIFs! :astonished: Aiyeee! Noooooooo!

Really, the GIFs shouldn’t be a problem, since the browser would just move them onto multiple lines. You could put a linebreak between every few of them just to make certain, though.

I’ve only deleted about five and there’s no problem now.