Left Taiwan on 'probation' question

Hello just a quick question, I left Taiwan in February 2022 due to a family emergency back home in the United States. While in Taipei I was still serving a one year probabtion due to a small misdemeanor charge for marijuana possession.

Unfortunately, I was not able to finish the probation and was only about half way through before suddenly leaving Taiwan to go back to the states. Now that it is middle of 2023, just out of curiosity, what would happen if I try to come back? Would I not be allowed to enter Taiwan at customs? Or would I have to report back to the police? Couldn’t find much else online about this. Appreciate any info.

Note: I should clarify that I have two passports; a Taiwanese and American passport. The charge was issued while I was staying in Taiwan using my Taiwan passport. Could I come back on my American passport?

By not getting permission to leave the country (I assume) you put yourself in the position of knowingly violating your probation. You will probably face revocation on return and go to prison for the rest of your sentence.
Contact a lawyer in Taiwan and ask them how you can resolve this.

This forum does not allow discussion on circumvention of laws/law enforcement in Taiwan.

6 Likes

They let you leave the country while on probation? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

if you are not ordered not to leave and not under protective mesures, it should be ok.

foreigners who got sentenced are prohibited from entering for certain periods, depending on the sentences they got.

Yes but it’s not illegal to switch passports. It’s up to Entry Exit bureau to determine the legality of the attempted entry. In general their systems will flag the passport anyway due to same name and same birthdate and place of birth. Also, ah, biometrics now mean the old switcheroony don’t work no more.

There’s only one way to know for sure.

4 Likes

Do you really think they’re going to think you’re a different person on a different passport?

Did you talk to your probation officer about the emergency and secured permission? If not you’ve violated probation and a warrant will have been issued for your arrest.

You come back you will likely be taken into custody and have the probation revoked. That means you will go to jail.

Unless the probation is nonreporting and there’s no condition prohibiting you from leaving (actually if you tried to leave you would have already been flagged, so the fact that you are able to leave probably means no such condition exists).

not necessarily, iiuc.

if it is a differed prosecution, and there are accompanied orders OP should complete or follow during the period and part of them are not completed yet, I guess there was not a flag, but OP violated the probation. if all orders were completed or there was no such accompanied order, and OP was just waitng for the end of the period, maybe ok? i read you need to sign on a paper or something at the end of the probation period. what if you don’t sign, i don’t know.

1 Like

It could be a suspended sentence as well.

Meaning a term is sentenced and suspended for 2 years. If the condition is followed during the term of the suspension the sentence is not carried out.

I do not know if this includes not leaving the country or signing some papers.

So if the term is violated he’d have to serve the sentence originally imposed.