Legal for 6-person taxis to reject fares based on number of passengers?

I flagged down a 6-person taxi (it actually said 6人 on the door) for the 6 of us in Kaohsiung today, and the driver asked for extra money. When I asked if that was legal, his response was “well, take it or leave it. I don’t have to accept parties over four persons.” Again, it said 6人 on his door.

Is that true? Are drivers of six-person taxis legally allowed to reject a fare if there are more than four passengers?

If it’s relevant, he said he doesn’t drive for one of the big fleets. He claims to own a one-man taxi company, but it’s a fully legal taxi. The light on the roof said 大港.

If what he did was illegal, how do I report it? Is there a 1999 equivalent in Kaohsiung?

1 Like

Yeah. It’s 1999.

3 Likes

It means 5 + 1 (the driver)

2 Likes

Are you sure? But wouldn’t that make the regular 4-passenger sedans only 3+driver?

Passenger vehicles are 5 people including the driver. It will be stipulated on the vehicle registration.

We’re talking about taxis. Do you know how many passengers are allowed in the regular sedan taxis if it says “4-persons” on the door?

Is it 4+driver or 3+driver?

I believe taxis show the number of passengers allowed on the door. Same for hire vans.

2 Likes

3 Likes

The taxi being a private business, I’d say the driver had no obligation to stop for you in the first place when you flagged him down. So his “take it or leave it” response, though not customer-friendly, was probably within his rights. Normally you would have to take two regular taxis to carry six passengers, so it’s not unreasonable either to ask for extra fare. Just think of it as a tip like you would give in a western country. No need to report it, IMHO.

The door paint/decal means total passengers. including driver. that’s just actual standard for all commercial vehicles.

After that, many taxi/uber just dont open their front seat to customers (frankly, I dont blame them). I have no clue if it is legal to refuse, but it is common to refuse. many refuse people for being too retarded, drunk, dirty etc. A nice thing with at least Uber is, the driver can kick you out for being a fucktard. #workersrighrs in my opinion.

Again, no idea on the law, but I feel it’s their right to refuse service. Not saying your group was doing anythIung wrong. and, I do agree it seems shitty if their reason is simply getting more money because you have a +1 in this situation. If that’s the case, reporting seems fair! make the company suffer, but probably no legal action could happen I would think?

edit:

literally legal registration. many may go over, but the law is quite literally written on the side of every commercial vehicle, how many people, licences, weight. legal requirement. take a look when out and about. they will have the weight I tones, the people allowed and the license as a minimum, both sides, should be on front door/panel.

1 Like

載運人數(含駕駛人)
乘客人數(不含駕駛人)

Should a taxi driver refuse to serve passengers without reasonable reasons or take a detour on purpose, he/she shall be fined from NT$600 to NT$1,200.

6 Likes

This is what it said. So it’s 6 + driver (which makes sense, is it was a 7-seater minivan).

Sounds like my driver broke the law.

Thanks.

1 Like

Have you taken a taxi anywhere in the world? In most countries, including Taiwan, it is illegal for taxis to refuse passengers.

There are 4-passenger and 6-passenger taxis. Both kinds are normal. I’m not asking whether it’s reasonable to ask for extra fare, I’m asking whether it’s legal.

1 Like

Follow-up question, just to be sure:

Is there a surcharge in Kaohsiung for 6-passenger taxis?

There is a 40% surcharge above the meter rate if you order a 7-seater from #55688.

Thanks. Do you know if the surcharge depends on either the company or city?

The company:

Thanks, but the chart from the website you linked seems to contradict what you said about surcharges based on taxi size:

It says Ubers may charge more depending on type of vehicle. Yellow taxis must follow the standard metered fare.

with 40% surcharge must be 多元化計程車, which can provide service just by reservations but have some flexibility on their servicr fees.

1 Like

That basically means Ubers (and similar), right?