Legal question about airport security (and customs/immigration) in Taiwan

Can Taiwan airport security unlock my phone without my permission?

No. But you can be refused entry for refusal to comply with any old shit.

Sorry sir, I forgot how to unlock the phone, and I forgot the PIN number too…

Let them try and unlock it.

You forgot the swallow the SIM card trick.

Are we talking about airport security, or immigration/customs? They are two different thing.

let’s say both of them

Kiester it. Even if they find it, they won’t want to touch it.

1 Like

If they really want to check your phone, they can. And if you give them trouble, they can also keep you at security/immigration until they figure out how to open it or you give up.
In any case, you lose your flight.

1 Like

Just try to look like you’re not shitting bricks and you’ll probably be fine.

Swallow the whole phone

Back in the days even in the states, I remember there was something about TSA can request you turn on your phone or laptop just to prove it worked. As far as unlocking it and letting them have free access to all your content inside is a different story.

I dont think its a different story. The police / airport security / whoever it may be have the right to ask to check your phone/laptop. You of course have the right to refuse, in which case, they also have the right to detain you as a suspect, get a warrant and check whatever you have on the phone.

1 Like

Once coming through Japan to Taiwan with my kiddos, I went digging through my bag in the boarding area to find change for a pack of gum, pulling stuff out and such. We got stopped for a quick but serious check on the boarding viaduct on the way onto the plane.

1 Like

Japanese customs/immigration is anal AF. They grilled me for like five minutes about a Taiwan hospital prescription once, and another time they grabbed a six-pack of lighters I had, opened up the package and said, “You can keep two.” :speak_no_evil:… :rage:

It’s always women too. Like you’ll feel better about getting reamed by a woman.

1 Like

It was!