Legal second jobs? Can companies hire FTs with ARCs?

Have you had two work permits simultaneously?

• No, just one.
  • Yes, one FT and one PT
  • Yes, both PT

0 voters

I’ve been reading and can’t find an answer to this. Maybe one of the fine readers out there would care to field an answer.

Is it legal to hire somebody who already has an ARC at a different school? Where can I find the rules on this? And is it legal to take part-time work if you are working on ARC? (Two entirely seperate questions I figure.)

The Employment Services Act, Article 53 specifies the possibility of holding multiple work permits, but so far nobody here has reported actually having done it. You are not allowed to do any work, whether part time, volunteer, etc. without a work permit, and each work permit applies only to a single employer. (Except for open work permits for permanent residents.)

Thanks for that idea James. We hadn’t really thought about that.

I have read Tealit’s extensive explanation of the new system whereby one can get a second work permit before changing jobs. Does anyone know if a person could do this and still keep their first job?

It seems to me that there are a lot of teaching jobs which offer ARC sponsorship, but ultimately can’t give enough hours to keep a teacher truly happy. We want to hire these people legally for about 10 hours per week or less. I would think this is a good thing, not a naughty thing. How can the government expect bushibans to increase their student enrollment in chunks large enough to support the hiring of discrete full-time teaching positions? There should be some allowance for part-time work simply in the interest of free enterprise.

It’s definitely possible.

you can find information on the website below : www.evta.gov.tw

I got an Internal 500 Error. Not a good sign. Which department?

you can apply for several part time job work permit if you have been working for five years continuously in Taiwan .

That’s nonsense. ANYONE can get as many work permits as they have time for. On the second and further ones which are NOT providing your ARC, there doesn’t seem to be any stipulation on minimum hours provided. I’ve got a second one myself.

Please do not misunderstand ok ! I am just sharing my experienced.
I have been in Taiwan for 7 years and I have been trying to apply for second JOB permit and never get it until two years ago. I am not sure
when did the regulations changes . It 's just my experiences.

Not everyone is lucky and smart like you OK !

Okay. The regulations changed last year or this year around January, I can’t remember when.

Anyone else? (please) :help:

I was offered a second work permit last year, and had a bit of a rigmarole dealing with what the employers thought was the correct procedure. Eventually I decided it was too much trouble and quit the second job. The problem was not the actual procedure, it was all the different interpretations by employers.

As far as I could tell definitively, the second employer simply applies for a second work permit in the usual way, as if it was a ‘normal’ one, with no need to involve the first employer. ie you go ahead and get a medical, supply all your documents, etc. But don’t be surprised if you get asked for permission from your first employer, or some evidence that this second job won’t interfere with the first. (Might be difficult if you’re already employed full-time.)

You’re supposed to guarantee 14hrs a week of work for a ‘first’ work permit, but I don’t know if that holds true for a second WP. If it does there’s no reason why you can’t pay the teacher for prep time and insist on a ratio of prep:classroom that suits you. And you can agree what you like as a pay rate. eg 1hr prep to one hour of teaching, all paid at 500/hr, instead of 1hr teaching at 1000//hr and unpaid prep. You could also offer people Xhrs at $Y/hr writing course material or something, with X times Y coming to less than they will be actually earn.

When I was applying for ARCs for teachers last year I had to provide timetables of lessons for the whole school so that the authorities could see how many hours the teachers were scheduled to teach. I also had to provide a list of everyone we were employing, including admin staff etc. This was in Taipei City.

I believe that WPs come in 3 month, 1 yr,2yr, and 3 yr options. Is there a 6 month option too?

Once you get the second WP I don’t know what happens next. Do you need to get your re-entry permit extended? I believe ('cos I read it here somewhere and 'cos it makes sense) that you have to go to the police and get your ARC amended.

[quote=“Loretta”]

As far as I could tell definitively, the second employer simply applies for a second work permit in the usual way, as if it was a ‘normal’ one, with no need to involve the first employer. ie you go ahead and get a medical, supply all your documents, etc. But don’t be surprised if you get asked for permission from your first employer, or some evidence that this second job won’t interfere with the first. (Might be difficult if you’re already employed full-time.)[/quote]

I got a second work permit last September at a bushiban, and that’s exactly what we did. My first employer wasn’t contacted, despite the fact that my first work visa was for a full-time office job.

Once the work visa was mailed to me, I went to the police station in Taipei and had this visa added on to my ARC. I brought copies plus the originals of any possible document they might want, including my original primary work visa. They took all the documents and wrote the name of the bushiban on the back of my ARC.

My primary visa was due to expire at the end of Dec. 2004. When I received the new secondary visa in Sept. 2004, which was good for a year, my ARC was not automatically extended to the Sept. 2005 date on the secondary visa. The officer told me that I should come back to the station in December ( I think 30 days before the primary visa expired?) and my visa would be extended to the date on the secondary visa (sept. 2005). I wanted to cancel my primary visa in December 2004, so I asked him if I needed a release letter from the company. He said no. He said all I had to do was come in before the end of Dec, and they’d make my secondary visa at the bushiban my primary visa, and the original primary visa from the company would just expire at the end of Dec 2004. Now I have one visa.

Hope this makes sense…the bottom line is that it was all very easy to do.

My impression is that most just pick up the 2nd job under the table, and that having the ARC and 1st work permit will probably be enough to get you out of trouble if you’re caught, as the police basically just want to see if you have an ARC. “A close friend” has worked multiple jobs for 10 years, and even reports all the incomes on taxes, and has never had a problem.