Legal (white collar) work for Philippines national

Original Title: Future in Taiwan

Hello everyone,

I would like to get your opinion about my situation and hopefully shed some light on how I am going to start a life in Taiwan. I’m a Chinese who was born and raised in the Philippines and I currently reside in Toronto, Canada. My wife, who is Taiwanese/Canadian, and I have decided to move to her home country to start our new lives as a married couple. We’re actually arriving in Taiwan by the first week of October. I’m still a Filipino citizen and so I’m entering Taiwan on a visitor’s visa. My wife on the other hand has both Taiwanese and Canadian passports. We were legally married here in Toronto and we have all the legal documents certified here at the TECO. Even though we were married here, we’ve both decided not to register our marriage in Taiwan when we arrive. The reason being — to show respect to her father. Until we have the proper ceremony/celebration done in Taiwan, we will not register our marriage. Most of you who have been living in Taiwan and know their culture will probably understand this. We’ve also decided to have the grand ceremony after 2 years when we’re financially ready.

With this in mind, what are my options to be able to work in Taiwan? My wife suggested the English Teaching route but based on the forums I’ve read, that would be impossible as I don’t have the proper “citizenship”. The only thing I could think of is to find work that is related to my experience. For starters, my mandarin is ok since I studied 13 years of mandarin in my home country and I speak fluent English. I have a Bachelor’s degree from one of the prestigious universities in the Philippines (Ateneo De Manila University), I have a Post-Graduate Diploma from Canada (Seneca) and I also have a professional diploma in International Business from FITT (Forum for International Trade Training). I worked 1 1/2 years for a private trading company in the Philippines before pursing my post-graduate studies in Canada. After my studies I worked 1 1/2 years here in Toronto for a Japanese MNC Conglomerate (Kintetsu) and I was part of the Freight Forwarding division under Ocean Operations. With my background, will I be able to find an employer who is willing to provide a work permit?

The thing is I know the simplest way is to teach English but just because of my citizenship I won’t be qualified. And to be honest, I feel discriminated. For one, I have 4 years of experience volunteering for a Socially Oriented Organization that assists urban poor children ages 1-16. Although we we’re teaching in an informal setting, I still believe it is relevant. At this point, I don’t know what type of work to look for. Personally, I’m more inclined to find work in the International Business field. But I’m not sure if there’s a willing employer.

It’s been 3 weeks now since I resigned from my job and I’ve sitting in front of the computer everyday looking for jobs. So far no luck.

If you could give me some insights as to how I can work in Taiwan, it would be very much appreciated.

Hi there…I am not currently living and working in Taiwan (yet) but I can at least give my opinion about job search…submitting resumes online is a pain in the a**…the best way is to use your Taiwanese connection…ask your wife if she knows anyone who knows someone who might be able to help you…whenever you’ve got an insider vouching for you, you are already one step closer… :wink:

[quote=“jgerald”]Even though we were married here, we’ve both decided not to register our marriage in Taiwan when we arrive. The reason being — to show respect to her father. Until we have the proper ceremony/celebration done in Taiwan, we will not register our marriage. Most of you who have been living in Taiwan and know their culture will probably understand this. We’ve also decided to have the grand ceremony after 2 years when we’re financially ready.
[…]

The thing is I know the simplest way is to teach English but just because of my citizenship I won’t be qualified. And to be honest, I feel discriminated.

If you could give me some insights as to how I can work in Taiwan, it would be very much appreciated.[/quote]No, the simplest thing would be to register your marriage immediately. You’re giving yourself needless headaches and artificially constraining your horizons.

I agree with vodche. It sounds like you have qualifications in many areas (after all Taiwan is filled with trade companies), and I’m sure you’d do a good job of teaching too. Whatever holes there are in your resume (citizenship issues) could be overcome if the employer met you in person, or you had someone vouch for you. Use whatever connections your wife has in Taiwan to get the word around. Once you have your foot in the door, I’m sure you could sell yourself.

Just register the marriage here. Many Taiwanese register their marriage and then have the big dinner bash when they can afford it. Your wife’s father should understand.

Otherwise I’d say your chances of legal employment are slim.

And the moment your visa runs out it’s off to Manila … trying to get a new one, with all the documentation … just because you’re married to a Taiwanese means nothing to them …

Vodche and Adam, thank you for the suggestion. My wife and I have also discussed about that and until we actually arrive in Taiwan, I won’t be able to talk to these connections in person. I’m just worried right now and I’m doing everything I can to find more information. The thing is most of her connections are in the food industry… meaning in the restaurant business. It may or may not lead me to something but I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket.

Jaboney and Stuart, appreciate your opinion. I agree that registering the marriage would be the simplest thing to do and if my wife and I had our way, we would be doing that as well. The thing is its not as simple as it sounds. Its hard to change the traditional ways of the “elders” and in both our cultures, we don’t have to agree with them but we still have to show respect.

Belgian Pie, thanks for the heads up. The good news is my visa is valid for 3 years. I could go in and out every 6 months if I don’t find work right away. But if I can avoid doing that, it would be the best situation for me and my wife.

At this point, I’m also trying to make connections here in this forum and hopefully be able to lead me to something.

I’d have to say there is more going on here than you are letting on. It’s not unknown for a couple to register a marriage then hold the bash later. The whole father thing sets up a red flag. I’m betting on a problem with the Hukou with dad.

With your education and background, why the hell would you want to come to Taiwan? Are you unemployed? Do you feel you’re not being discriminated enough in Canada? Does your wife hate you?

I say this because as it is, because you are Filipino, you are f-ed after that visa runs out without a registered marriage. English teaching seems like a serious waste of your talent unless you get into the high end GEPT/TOEFL/GRE/IELT along with corporate gigs. The problem is you can’t get a visa for it and you will get a whopping 60 days in the country if you are lucky.

The Visa issues screw you with out the JFRV from being married to your wife. There really isn’t any way around that, that I can think of off the top of my head.

Best of luck

Mission impossible. Better to move to P.I. until you’re ready to register the marriage.

If you say so. It might help (but probably not) to understand why you’re allowing yourselves to be boxed in. You’re married. Did your in-laws not attend the ceremony? Do they not acknowledge it? Is there any particular reason why you’re determined to ‘show respect’ in this particular way?

My wife and I (she’s a local, I’m from Canada) have strong family ties, and many of the preferences expressed by our families run contrary to what we’ve chosen to do. That’s fine. We don’t try (much) to change their ways, and they don’t try (much) to change ours: mutual respect and obligations are one thing; tying your life in knots to jump through hoops is another. Adjusting to life as newly weds can be both blissful and stressful; adjusting to life in Taiwan… mostly stressful. Doing both those things while under pressure on the immigration side of things or working below your abilities and putting up a lot of bs for no good reason, all while (I assume) living under implicit threat from the in-laws because ‘it ain’t real until you touch all the bases, jump up and down three times, and drop a big fat envelope through the mail slot’… that’s a whole lot of unnecessary complications.

StuartCa’s right: register the marriage, have the big to-do later. It’s done all the time.
The others are right: Taiwanese officials don’t typically smile on those with passports from the Philippines. You’re probably setting yourselves for a lot of unnecessary grief.

Luck.

Hi Okami,

Your are partly right about the Hukou. All her immediate relatives know about our marriage here in Canada and they attended the event as well. Only her dad doesn’t know about it and to make matters worse… let’s just say his occupation is related with the government. You’ll probably ask how come he doesn’t know… because her parents aren’t together anymore.

Why would I want to come to Taiwan? Because we prefer the lifestyle in Taiwan. And for the record, I was employed in a stable job and resigned because we are flying out of here by October. In fact before I resigned I was being offered a promotion.

Do you feel you’re not being discriminated enough in Canada? Does your wife hate you? - haha! this is a good one! Well, I had my fair share of discrimination from Canada but I don’t give up that easily.

I do agree that teaching english would be a waste of my time and that is why I’m here looking for answers.
Based on what your saying, I guess there aren’t any other answers except for the fact that I’m f-ed.

[quote=“Okami”]I’d have to say there is more going on here than you are letting on. It’s not unknown for a couple to register a marriage then hold the bash later. The whole father thing sets up a red flag. I’m betting on a problem with the Hukou with dad.

With your education and background, why the hell would you want to come to Taiwan? Are you unemployed? Do you feel you’re not being discriminated enough in Canada? Does your wife hate you?

I say this because as it is, because you are Filipino, you are f-ed after that visa runs out without a registered marriage. English teaching seems like a serious waste of your talent unless you get into the high end GEPT/TOEFL/GRE/IELT along with corporate gigs. The problem is you can’t get a visa for it and you will get a whopping 60 days in the country if you are lucky.

The Visa issues screw you with out the JFRV from being married to your wife. There really isn’t any way around that, that I can think of off the top of my head.

Best of luck[/quote]

Well, I’m glad it all worked out for you and your wife.
That’s why I’m here to get more information and be ready for what I have to face there. Don’t get me wrong, we have our own backup plans if all else fails. But like what I told my wife, we decided to settle in Taiwan and we will do to the best of our abilities to achieve that.

[quote=“Jaboney”]
My wife and I (she’s a local, I’m from Canada) have strong family ties, and many of the preferences expressed by our families run contrary to what we’ve chosen to do. That’s fine. We don’t try (much) to change their ways, and they don’t try (much) to change ours: mutual respect and obligations are one thing; tying your life in knots to jump through hoops is another. Adjusting to life as newly weds can be both blissful and stressful; adjusting to life in Taiwan… mostly stressful. Doing both those things while under pressure on the immigration side of things or working below your abilities and putting up a lot of bs for no good reason, all while (I assume) living under implicit threat from the in-laws because ‘it ain’t real until you touch all the bases, jump up and down three times, and drop a big fat envelope through the mail slot’… that’s a whole lot of unnecessary complications.

StuartCa’s right: register the marriage, have the big to-do later. It’s done all the time.
The others are right: Taiwanese officials don’t typically smile on those with passports from the Philippines. You’re probably setting yourselves for a lot of unnecessary grief.

Luck.[/quote]

Try to get the marriage registered ASAP, you need the hukou document to do it, can you get it from the mother instead?

I’m not actually trying to be mean and I appreciate you taking my comments in a light-hearted way. Homey raises a very good point, can you get on her mom’s hukou? You could also set up your own hukou I believe. I would check in with the relevant bureaucracy when you get here, because short of marriage, your passport screws you.

jgerald, kamusta?
There are Pinoys with white collar jobs here but most are in the IT industry. Beyond this arena, you have to be really fluent in the language and have a Taiwan passport. Teaching is an option and we do know some Pinoys into that… having Canada in your CV might make things easier for you. I do agree it’s an odd direction to take given your credentials, but better consider it if it’s the only way you can stay in the country.
By the way, you mentioned you’re Chinese and I bet you look it. In that case, you won’t really feel the “discrimination” unless you walk around showing people your passport. I think the Taiwanese are very polite - kung maayos ka naman makitungo, hindi ka naman babastusin, 'di ba?

Stay positive kuya! Kaya mo yan!

B2

Nothing personal to me. I actually appreciate you giving your take on the topic. I’ve been asked the same questions before by my family when I told them our plans. Its really a matter of preference. We prefer to live in Taiwan not because we don’t like Canada but rather we like the conveniences in Taiwan. Plus its closer to my home country and I can visit my family more often.

“homey” did raise a good point but her mom doesn’t have it. All the hukou documents are with her dad. And I also checked the websites for the household registration… it seems it might not work either. A person cannot be registered in 2 households. When we arrive next week, we’ll go see the registration office and find out more info. The website didn’t state clearly if I can apply for the initial hukou.

Thanks Okami! Seems like you know all about these things. You’ve been in a similar situation before?

Not sure if it helps or not, but the day that my wife and I registered our marriage she also changed the hukou from her mothers to her own. She didn’t require her mother to be there, or any permission or anything like that. Could you do something like that and have your wife set her own one up?

Kamusta B2!

Ako, ok lang. Glad to see a fellow Filipino here. Thank you for the encouragement. I’ve been told by a friend in Taiwan that most Pinoys are in the IT industry too. I guess you just confirmed it. Personally, I don’t mind teaching as I’m good with kids but I don’t like to waste my time as well. We’ll see what happens. If I was given the opportunity to teach I will consider it.

Yes I’m 100% Chinese in blood but as far as looking like one… my wife said I don’t look Filipino and I don’t look like a typical Chinese as well. I’m not really worried about being discriminated in the streets of Taiwan as I don’t go around disrespecting others. Nanininiwala ako na pinalaki akong magalang ng magulang ko. I’m more worried about the discrimination in work related situations.

Oo nga pala, are you in living Taiwan?

[quote=“bigbeauties”]jgerald, kamusta?
There are Pinoys with white collar jobs here but most are in the IT industry. Beyond this arena, you have to be really fluent in the language and have a Taiwan passport. Teaching is an option and we do know some Pinoys into that… having Canada in your CV might make things easier for you. I do agree it’s an odd direction to take given your credentials, but better consider it if it’s the only way you can stay in the country.
By the way, you mentioned you’re Chinese and I bet you look it. In that case, you won’t really feel the “discrimination” unless you walk around showing people your passport. I think the Taiwanese are very polite - kung maayos ka naman makitungo, hindi ka naman babastusin, 'di ba?

Stay positive kuya! Kaya mo yan!

B2[/quote]

That’s interesting. So it doesn’t matter if my wife applies for the hukou. It doesn’t have to be me? I think the biggest worry that we have is if we do apply for our own hukou, won’t that reflect in her dad’s hukou as well?

As long as your wife is a TW citizen, it should be her, not you. You will then be listed on it, AFAIK. I don’t know what’ll happen with her Dad’s one but I don’t see why there’d be any reason for her to need to stay on it.