Legality of Private Tutoring (in your apartment)

You won’t be able to license a normal apartment. Too small.

I just used an empty apartment I already owned.

That’s one thing to look for it you decide to get licensed. Find a place where your building is the only place that can pass the license requirements and you have no competition nearby. You can get drivers to bring the kids from nearby schools and have the kids pay the drivers.

My plan was to teach adults. Maybe a smaller market but I have the right skill set and I’m tired of kids.

1 Like

Great. I have no idea if the requirements are different for adults, but I do know you must make them pay three months in advance. If you don’t, they will cancel often and it makes accounting much more bothersome. When they pay in advance, they are much more likely to attend regularly.

1 Like

This is the kind of situation below that, if I started a small school and was discovered to be in violation, that would get things shut down. I don’t have a lot of seed money, and it wouldn’t be worth it anyway for a one classroom school.

1 Like

I’m curious to know if there’s a way you can register as a private tutor in other peoples homes. That wouldn’t be the same thing as a cram school, as you wouldn’t have a specific location to have on a cram school permit

Not if you have over 4 students. You must register as a cram school then.