Legislator calls for tobacco tax cut, citing public outcry

… whereas scooter and truck fumes have absolutely nothing to do with it.

There aren’t many people who spend all day slaving over a hot stove breathing in cooking-oil fumes. The small kitchens are a strong incentive not to cook at all.

2 Likes

Hold on a second while i climb…

images

has anyone considered that reducing the number of smokers would improve climate change, and extra taxes collected by tobacco sales could be used for more policies aimed at tackling the most urgent issue that mankind has ever faced?

1 Like

2 Likes

Well, the problem is that the taxes generate a lot of ehem special imports, meaning smuggling cigarrettes into the country. Those pay no taxes.

Drunks get not only to kill themselves but somehow manage to alos take a few of the people around them. Worse with smokers, smoker´s families have little choice but to live with the fumes.

Smoking is awful. Most people who smoke simply can´t let it go. It overcomes their will…inside out.

1 Like

I agree with that completely. That said i also think other people shouldnt have to pay for your health bill. If you drink, no related coverage for you through publicly funded care. Smoke? The same. Drug addict? the same. Race car dtiver who crashes? the same.

The issue is how to prove the illness/issue is the cause of choice and not just bad luck. How can you define it? World of issues in this area. Are lawyers really who we want controlling the health care system (more)? Probably not.

If you get lung cancer and dont smoke, you chose to live in a polluted area so no coverage. It’s a hard line to define and thus enters the issues with the whole ordeal. I say let them pay put of pocket or die. But guess who wont be re ellected next term? The person who talks fairness and logic.

On the scooter image above. About 8 years ago i wanted to start exporting scooters as a drunken get rich quick scheme with a friend. Basically we can buy scooters here retail at 55k nt (as an example) and in japan and US the same model was about 5k usd, so 125k nt. Little over double. At first the numbers plus tax and transport seemed right when buying wholesale. Until we found out that in japan and the US they had this thing called emissions testing and the scooters sold in taiwan didnt have much of the components to burn up the exhaust, which the same brand and model sold abroad had to have to be let in. Its interesting actually. And is pretty much the same now as far as not much health protection against pollitants.

The gov here keeps spewing verbal diarrhea and yet still do virtually nothing meaningful while the population gets more and more ignorant, entitled and…sick.

Pay up or die. Thats it in the end :frowning:

Or move. The world is getting smaller. its hard to escape insane people and cultures now.

Whats your fix for reality?

1 Like

You know, when I moved to Taiwan back in the day, I thought it was pretty awesomely smoke free compared to the smoky pits I endured in Tokyo and environs.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. Tokyo has cleaned up its act (it’s unlawful to smoke out on the streets outside of designated smoker zones!). Taipei now feels way worse, at least on the streets.

How to address this? I know, let’s cut the tobacco tax!

Guy

1 Like

The internet was a mistake.

I don’t have time to throughly go thru this thing right now, but the title looks pretty scary.:eyes:

Which style of Kung Fu is that lol?

White Crane…duh!

2 Likes

got yah for once. Wrong it is white crane over Eagle claw fist.:sunglasses:
um maybe I should leave out the “white” part hmmmm

It’s actually a hybrid of White Crane and Bald Eagle. :sunglasses:

1 Like

or maybe temporary forum fist ?

Holy fuck dood. The OMAR reference. LOOOL.

I kept seeing that advert somewhere. Was it Eva Angelina airlines? Or was it on TV?

Taiwan makes hao hurr whiskey. Did you know it? :cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain: Nantou distillery is very famous.