Lemon Juice

I think “potassium hexadienate” is a mistranslation of “potassium sorbate” and I don’t see anything too concerning…but what were you expecting? If they just bottle freshly squeezed lemon juice without doing anything to it, it’ll probably go bad before it reaches the distributor and definitely once you’ve opened the bottle.

Preservatives are the price of being lazy. It’s pretty easy to just buy a bag of lemons, squeeze them, and freeze them in an ice cube tray for whenever you want relatively fresh unadulterated lemon juice.

2 Likes

I guess the manufacturer’s life gave him a bunch of lemons and he decided to bottle it up and sell it.

Sounds like a productive way for him to have used those lemons. :wink:

It’s what I expected from a Taiwan brand.

Just looking for better if there is something better.

What’s something better though? Do you have a preference for other preservatives like sodium benzoate, or do you want the lemon juice to be already bad when you get it? It’s not a Taiwan thing, it’s that fresh lemon juice will go bad if they don’t do something to it.

The “better” is freezing lemon juice in an ice cube tray and keeping it in your freezer. It’s like 15 min of work, then you’ve got lemon juice for a couple of months.

3 Likes

That is how all commercial citrus juices are made. In every country.

@tango42 is your expectation that Taiwanese brands follow industry standards?

Other alternative is artificial lemon flavoring and citric acid to approximate the taste of lemonade. It won’t taste like lemon juice but it will never go bad.

Or they can ultra high temperature pasteurize it and it will be tetra packed, and sold without refrigeration. Besides the acid tends to suppress bacterial growth anyways.

Yeah, and then it’s not lemon juice, and some synthetic lemon-flavored concoction likely isn’t what somebody is looking for if they don’t even like the idea of small amounts of preservatives.

Yes, I’m aware of pasteurization. This is still delaying the inevitable, unless someone wants to use a liter of unpreserved lemon juice within a couple of days of opening.

Yes, it does. There are nonetheless bacteria that can survive in lemon juice, and lemon juice definitely does spoil (which can happen through both microbial growth and other mechanisms).

That’s where we buy it too. for actual juice for drinking, it’s a bit hard to find without sugar and watered down.

the green bottle marco posted we use for cooking a lot :slight_smile: Most local supermarkets have it.

Time for another one!

1 Like

Picked up a new one a couple weeks ago

I don’t like the lemon juice preservatives taste, so I juice lemons and freeze in ice cube trays.

3 Likes

Know of any?

I want to make cocktails and tried PXMart, Carrefoure, and Poya – can find plenty of alcohol but no mixers…

Specifically was looking for lemon juice yesterday. (They didn’t have lemons at PX either)