Lenovo (IBM) laptop repair - a good experience

Took in a 3 year old T43 for repair, a couple days before the warranty expired. They fixed the keyboard on the spot, and installed some Transcend memory I’d bought, for free (I would have done it myself, but the second SoDIMM is located way inside and I was afraid of voiding the warranty) Two 1GB sticks. They replaced the hard disk, which had hella unrecoverable sectors; spinrite did help a bit (after running for 5 days straight) but really the drive was shot. IBM at that time used drives which you could pretty much only replace with their own brand. This was one reason our next laptop was a Fujitsu (plus, made in Japan not China), though the Lenovo service was so helpful I had some regret. Dunno if they still pull that trick with the hard drive or hide the second SoDIMM deep inside. Anyway they also gave us back the old hard drive just in case we need data from it… though we had to leave a NT$3000 deposit. They also fixed or replaced the noisy/dusty fan. Now, to install OS X on it…

Overall, a great experience. Take the MRT to Sun Yat Sen, come out exit 3 and you’re looking at it, across the street on the second floor. Can enter from either street and go up 1 flight of stairs. Open until 9PM some nights.

Pity you didn’t paste the address…

My wife’s keyboard was shot, so we had it replaced (out of warranty) it wasn’t cheap, but the machine was serviced and cleaned. Nice job.

Kenneth

[quote=“Toe Tag”]Took in a 3 year old T43 for repair, a couple days before the warranty expired. They fixed the keyboard on the spot, and installed some Transcend memory I’d bought, for free (I would have done it myself, but the second SoDIMM is located way inside and I was afraid of voiding the warranty) Two 1GB sticks. They replaced the hard disk, which had hella unrecoverable sectors; spinrite did help a bit (after running for 5 days straight) but really the drive was shot. IBM at that time used drives which you could pretty much only replace with their own brand. This was one reason our next laptop was a Fujitsu (plus, made in Japan not China), though the Lenovo service was so helpful I had some regret. Dunno if they still pull that trick with the hard drive or hide the second SoDIMM deep inside. Anyway they also gave us back the old hard drive just in case we need data from it… though we had to leave a NT$3000 deposit. They also fixed or replaced the noisy/dusty fan. Now, to install OS X on it…

Overall, a great experience. Take the MRT to Sun Yat Sen, come out exit 3 and you’re looking at it, across the street on the second floor. Can enter from either street and go up 1 flight of stairs. Open until 9PM some nights.[/quote]
What did you have to show by way of warranty, by the way? Just the original receipt?

My X61’s fine, but the guys at the shop told me that if I wanted a full three years’ warranty from date of purchase, (not of manufacture, which was a couple of months before), I had to register online and I’d get sent an e-mail and have to do something about it. Well I registered twice and never got the e-mail. Then I was too busy to ever follow it up. That was about five months ago.

You and others are also welcome to paste the address. Or phone, email, URL.

They told us the same thing. And we did the email with them. It was a close shave for us, by a couple days. When I took it in they didn’t really check much, they scanned all the parts when they accepted it to service it overnight. But this was partly because, they are happy to accept it and then call you back and say “its out of warranty and it would cost this much to fix.” I didn’t show any paperwork, I think early on they checked the serial number on their computer. They called a tech over who spoke good english to confirm my list of problems.

If you use Yahoo mail don’t trust it. It puts a lot of perfectly good mail into the spam folder, which it then empties every month. Maybe that’s where the reply email ended up.