Lentil Equivalent in Taiwan

Is there a bean similar to lentils grown in Taiwan?

My friend says Taiwan green beans are the same thing, but I don’t know what Taiwan green beans are and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything similar to lentils in Taiwan.

They belong to the same family but are a different kind - hence the different taste. Just like adzuki beans here kind of look similar to beans in the West…but when you try making a chili with them, it tastes horrible. Think of jus how many kinds of rice there is. Anyways, for proper lentils, go to the Trinity Store - Indian food.

Red lentils are available at many Buddhist vegetarian food stores, the kind that sell stuff for vegetarian restaurants. You can also find them at health food stores or online.
mall.pchome.com.tw/prod/CFAC0D-A9005E11X

The green beans the OP is talking about are mung beans, very different taste and texture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_bean

You can buy lentils here. They are not too hard to find. Check in Welcome supermarket if nowhere else.

I like beans and glad they’re fairly easy to find in Taiwan. What are your favorite recipes for lentil beans or other types that are found in Taiwan? I’m buying a slow-cooker so we can make chili this winter!

I like beans and glad they’re fairly easy to find in Taiwan. What are your favorite recipes for lentil beans or other types that are found in Taiwan? I’m buying a slow-cooker so we can make chili this winter![/quote]

I usually use them canned -I am a one person army-, but garbanzos and lentils -with chicken wings, pork ribs or what they call here hua rou, a fatty, skinny bit- are simply a must in winter, all from Trinity.Same with rice BTW.

Just tried turkey chilli. Not quite a success, though.

[quote=“schwarzwald”]Red lentils are available at many Buddhist vegetarian food stores, the kind that sell stuff for vegetarian restaurants. You can also find them at health food stores or online.
mall.pchome.com.tw/prod/CFAC0D-A9005E11X

The green beans the OP is talking about are mung beans, very different taste and texture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mung_bean[/quote]

Yes! The mung bean is the one my Taiwan friends says are the same as lentils. We had some green lentils recently and the look similar but I don’t think taste the same and don’t have the same health benefits.

Carrefour recently has been selling lentils in cans.