Lesbian Rangers at the University of Winnipeg

They probably aren’t having much success. Unluckily, though, Canadian taxpayers are paying for them to at least give it the old college try. However, I’d like to meet some of the “Eager Beavers” :smiling_imp: :banana: :howyoudoin:

[i]Last week at the University of Winnipeg, co-eds were invited to participate in a lesbian “Reorientation Week.”

They were asked to become “rangers” with the “Lesbian National Parks and Services,” the brainchild of local “performing artists” Shauna Dempsey and Lorri Millan. (See Poster)

This is the lesbian equivalent of the university and government hiring two middle-aged males to recruit co-eds to go camping and have sex.

The two women had a “field office” in the university art gallery, staffed by a university employee in ranger uniform. They took part in pancake breakfasts, barbecues and interviews on campus radio.

“Lesbian Rangers salute and welcome you!” their brochure said. “Here you will encounter new, even life-changing lifestyles and ideas. These may challenge you in uncomfortable ways.”

The university art gallery, the Manitoba Arts Council and the Canada Council, sponsored this spectacle to the tune of (I estimate) $10,000. This doesn’t include thousands of taxpayer dollars already expended on their promotional video and “Field Guide” which includes examples of lesbian “flora and fauna.”

The Lesbian Rangers don’t actually work in any parks. But the artists claim to have hundreds of junior members called “Eager Beavers.”

Their video (online) is full of such double entendres and sexual innuendo. The two “bush women” leave “no stone or lesbian unturned.” It’s a “lesbian-eat-lesbian-world.” Knots are practiced in various bondage positions.[/i]

savethemales.ca/001135.html
uwinnipeg.ca/current/artgall … anrangers/
conservativeprincess.blogspot.com/
www.fingerinthedyke.ca

:nsfw: fingerinthedyke.ca/images/vulva_2.jpg

Guess who’s back?
Back again.
Chewy’s back.
Tell a friend.
Guess who’s back, guess who’s back, guess who’s back…

Welcome home. Here’s your envelope; push at will. :smiling_imp:

Oh, and to be on topic, yeah, I heard about about them. Huh.

Does that come on DVD?

Its PAT!

My dream job?

Sounds like a standard friday night for me prior to marriage.

Aww…so you’re a lesbian…isn’t that cute!

LUG’s.

U of W is my alma mater.

Seriously, though…

I think it’s hard to be both sensible and ideologically consistent at the same time. My gut reaction to this type of thing is that the arts should not be funded or coddled, a reaction surely akin to yours, Chewy. Look at Canadian pop music, which is encouraged by “Canadian content” rules for radio and the like, and which is rarely worth listening to because it is so very, very unnecessary and sad (who needs it when you can listen to music from the UK? We are not a nation of musicians–writers, maybe, but not musicians). If art does not stand the test of the market, then f**k it. Why should the Tea Party (ugh) be allowed to make a decent living by dint of reserving space for them on the airwaves and on the Canadian equivalent of MTV?

But then I think of government funding for symphony orchestras, and I pause. It would be a shame for the sole purveyors of live classical music in second-tier cities to go under because of money troubles. And government funding for art galleries is worthy by any reckoning, I reckon. So if you give money to them, then you are a hypocrite if you decry the bucks apportioned out for…lesbian performance artists.

“Not in my name?” This is a zero-sum position which doesn’t stand up to scrutiny in the real world. Those lesbian performance artists drive to gigs on roads paid for with your taxes. You cannot draw the line so neatly, and the rightwing argument collapses under its own ideological weight (unless they’re calling for the effective abolishment of symphony orchestras and art galleries?).

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]Seriously, though…

I think it’s hard to be both sensible and ideologically consistent at the same time. My gut reaction to this type of thing is that the arts should not be funded or coddled, a reaction surely akin to yours, Chewy. Look at Canadian pop music, which is encouraged by “Canadian content” rules for radio and the like, and which is rarely worth listening to because it is so very, very unnecessary and sad (who needs it when you can listen to music from the UK? We are not a nation of musicians–writers, maybe, but not musicians). If art does not stand the test of the market, then f**k it. Why should the Tea Party (ugh) be allowed to make a decent living by dint of reserving space for them on the airwaves and on the Canadian equivalent of MTV?

But then I think of government funding for symphony orchestras, and I pause. It would be a shame for the sole purveyors of live classical music in second-tier cities to go under because of money troubles. And government funding for art galleries is worthy by any reckoning, I reckon. So if you give money to them, then you are a hypocrite if you decry the bucks apportioned out for…lesbian performance artists.

“Not in my name?” This is a zero-sum position which doesn’t stand up to scrutiny in the real world. Those lesbian performance artists drive to gigs on roads paid for with your taxes. You cannot draw the line so neatly, and the rightwing argument collapses under its own ideological weight (unless they’re calling for the effective abolishment of symphony orchestras and art galleries?).[/quote]

Let the private sector raise the money and let the market decide what is popular. If I love art very much, and if my second-tier city can’t afford to spend enough money on the arts, I should move to a city where I can find a more vibrant arts scene. Many peope move within a country or internationally for financial, work-related, or cultural reasons. The “Canadian mindset” is to always expect the government to provide the answer.

BTW, guess what city has opened the largest amount of new art galleries in all of Canada? Calgary. Alberta’s economy is not only better than the rest of the provinces in Canada, but the GDP per capita within the province is even higher than a lot of US states. Calgarians are very interested in the arts, despite being portrayed by many Easterners as rednecks albertanicus3millenium.blogspot. … chine.html , groups with possible links to international terrorism, and Lesbian rangers etc. In other words, I don’t want my tax money paying for this kind of crap:

I agree with certain parts of your argument PP, but I think the Liberal government, with its subsidization of the CBC, Canadian music, and other forms of diarrhea, spends way too much on art projects of questionable value. There should be stricter requirements on who receives federal or provincial money and who doesn’t. In my opinion, an orchestra deserves taxpayer money, two lesbians talking dirty while giving lessons that should have been learned in Brownies or Scouts doesn’t.