Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

Yep, also EasyCard saves the purchases and can read by iBon machine incl. the invoice numbers.
You can easily scan the iCash/easyCard with a mobile which has NFC included and the iCash or EasyCard app from the Playstore.
7-11 introduced the iCash 2.0 card some time ago, the previous iCash card was 2in1.
Cheers
Tom

1 Like

1 Like

For the Maokong Gondola only “foreign senior citizens who qualify for the Mackay Project” can get discounts it seems.

http://english.gondola.taipei/ct.asp?xItem=42054077&CtNode=57337&mp=122034

That would be for anyone in Taiwan. The question of who is considered a “Taipei City Citizen” is a separate one.

Mackay Project?

Mackay Project

Meanwhile, ordinary foreign working stiffs, who pay taxes just like everybody else, won’t enjoy the privileges available to Taiwanese senior citizens when they retire, but will have the privilege of subsidizing them.

7 Likes

Better start making brownie points. I may still have like 20 years to catch up in good deeds, 10 more to reach 50 years living in Taiwan. And then maybe, I could be deemed worthy.

1 Like

No free bus rides when I turn 70… Oh no!

1 Like

I wouldn’t count on it. Probably not a good idea to entrust your golden years to the whims of Taiwan’s bureaucrats.

What bothers me more is that I’m subsidizing all the agongs and amas who elbow me in the ribs as they get on the bus.

2 Likes

Let’s sue them for discrimination then! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Seems easier to get double nationality then getting into the Mackay Project…

In the past foreigners have written to the director of the palace museum and they simply wrote back saying sorry, foreigner no deal. It was on this site in the past.

2 Likes

Another is phone service promotions.
Both Taiwan mobile and Fareastone telecom had special online only sales for $599 a month with only a one year contract and unlimited 4G.

Put in all my info on both sites, and arc number and a pop came up and said foreigners can’t apply online only in the shop. And that deal isn’t available in the shop conveniently.
I sent a complaint to Taiwan mobile and the guy called back and said put it in your friends name to get the deal, arc won’t work.

Pretty much for anything, bank loan, phone service credit cards, pension for arc people only, arc is next to worthless in Taiwan.

2 Likes

Yep, my coworker even called them to see if I could get the same deal. They straight up told her it’s not available to foreigners and that I had to go to the store to see what similar deals they had. I ended up with the same thing, but for two years instead of one.

Mackay Project is a bargain, only 20 years of residence required vs 50, and some volunteer work on the weekends. :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

APRC is useless in these cases too.

1 Like

I follow the thread Pensions for permanent residents closely (cause I am getting gold). Pretty sure APRCer are eligible for pension, but need to go down to the Labor Office one day and get the facts straight.

With your hard work at the office… :smiley:

I wonder why the activity in this forum decays so much at 6:00 PM :smiley: