Let's Talk About Food

These “10 ____ with the best ____” lists are so stupid.

2 Likes

A bit of an own goal. It’s not Taiwanese food.

The point is none of them are American. This was switched from the Americanish thread…

But American can mean and of those options.

American food is incredibly diverse. Crossing a state boarder and you are provided new dining options.

I would rate eating in America much higher than Taiwan. Taiwan I would rate about 5/10. It’s just too hard to find quality.

America 7/10
Japan 8/10
Thailand 5/10
India 6/10
Britain 5/10
France 7/10
Australia 9/10 (home town advantage)

1 Like

I wasn’t talking about that though.

1 Like

Have you been to Thailand?

5/10 is really harsh.

2 Likes

Mental

Your rating looks really biased without any further explanation and probably for good reasons. But you can’t be serious that Australia is the food temple of the world. Just shows your own silliness. I’m sure there’s good food but putting the US, Japan etc behind it…idk

Utterly ridiculous. Probably spent a week in Pattaya.

1 Like

I think it’s probably a wind-up.

1 Like

Quality is important to me.

I find the food I get served in Taiwan to be of very poor quality. As bad as the quality of housing stock.

With Thai food. My Thai friends make better than we got in country. The complete opposite of Mexico and Colombia. The quality of the fruit in colombia was outstanding. Almost as good as Taiwan pineapples.

I agree on the housing stock … but I know the food in Taiwan is not rated highly amongst the foreign community, but I think it’s also to do with having a different palate. Year by year, I find myself beginning to enjoying certain local foods that I had previously not cared for. It’s strange to think that one is still adapting after 23 years. I can now appreciate so much of what I previously just tolerated. I also think other cuisines are readily available and pretty decent if you do your research and don’t mind paying. Within a 15 minute walking distance from my home, I can find all of the following, and I believe there aren’t too many neighborhoods in Europe, which could offer the same. (Neighborhoods 15 min walk -not entire city).

Amazing burger, decent falafel, French owned and run bakery, Argentinian ice cream parlor, good Vietnamese baguette sandwiches, Din Tai Fung, good German bakery, delicious Japanese puffs, a wet market filled with the most amazingly fresh (but expensive) produce, another little store selling high quality imported New Zealand rack of lamb etc, and very acceptable Chinese, Taiwanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Italian , Japanese, Korean, German food. If I wanted to eat something better then “very acceptable” in those latter categories, I could just hop on the bus/Mrt for 10-15mins. Food is one of the things I am very satisfied with here.

3 Likes

It is not rated highly here (or maybe a better way to put it would be there are a lot of haters), but it seems to be rated highly elsewhere.

2 Likes

Where, exactly?
By Japanese and Chinese tourists, maybe.

Everywhere.

2 Likes

If you say so. The FAMOUS Taiwan night markets with their FAMOUS food!

It is the most often brought up features when people write/vlog about Taiwan in all languages.

I hate to tell you this but a handful of haters on Forumosa will not change that.

2 Likes

Jimipresley, that’s just the thing. The “famous” food that is promoted is garbage. For some reason Taiwan seems to promote what is weird or unique like stinky tofu… such a shame…

But find a good hu jiao bing, jian bao, xiao long tang Bao, gan Bian si ji dou, a hot and sour soup, some home made wonton, a simple noodle dish with green onion and scallions, or a green onion pancake, a fish ball soup, Peking duck, ant climbing a tree, Hong you chao shou etc… it’s really pretty amazing… but an acquired taste…it might take someone 20 years to appreciate if ever…depending on what one was brought up on.

Food is emotional. I don’t know if other posters here have had this, but what I think I’ll like (brain/heart) is actually different from what I do like (palate/stomach). I’m naturally attracted to the food I was brought up on or something similar. If I chose an ice cream it’s more likely to be a nutty/caramel/chocolate/cream type flavor but I seem to enjoy them less and less. What I should be ordering is something a little more tart/acidic.

1 Like

A lot of people here(forumosa) get excited about McDonald’s

2 Likes