Level of danger for children from Covid

The statement was that children were the primary sources of covid transmission. This is demonstrably false.

The original statement. It seems crazy to me that people would argue that this isn’t wrong on both a scientific and a children’s mental health perspective.
[/quote]

Well…

lol, literally I agree now :wink:

My point was there is still a significant risk…even to an elder relative life…not what that teacher said.

I’ve always been skeptical with the ‘asymptomatic’ claim.
Here are some studies:

A study on infectivity of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32513410/
conclusion: the infectivity of some asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers might be weak

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33219229/
There were no positive tests amongst 1,174 close contacts of asymptomatic cases.

1 Like

To be fair, we do jack shit for contact tracing in the u.s., and don’t know the vector for a lot of transmissions.

Source, please? I haven’t seen anything about it.

Currently everyone who has been tested positive in Taiwan is hospitalized, symptomatic or not (This may change soon).

1 Like

I’ve seen it in Line groups - also reporting that multiple kids are positive.

I am not the best at search in Chinese but haven’t found anything related to it in actual press yet.

The pilot’s daughter. Source: news/CECC presser and press releases

See the ages of cases.

Edit:

航機師(案1102)未滿5歲的女兒

1231 is listed as Taiwanese male 0-9 years of age from May 12.

1137 as Taiwanese female 0-4 years old, diagnosed on April 30.

Nobody else that young is in the official spreadsheet. Both were listed as asymptomatic.

EDIT - I posted this before I saw Icon’s link. 1137 is the person listed in that article.

This is the typical spread involving kids.

OTOH, specific cases do disprove absolute blanket statements like the above.

I’m well versed in Covid effects in children, but what happens if they test positive? Will they be put in an isolation ward in the hospital? Or will we just need to self quarantine with them?

Both wife and I have our first jab of the vaccine so we aren’t really worried about exposure, but seeing as my kids, are of course not vaxxed I’m worried what will happen if they catch the virus.

Any idea of what the TW officials are currently doing with the children who currently have tested positive??

1 Like

They see the world at different altitudes. We’re just giants.

1 Like

Just to point out that you should not be super super confident after one jab. The efficacy of one jab is not nearly as high as two jabs, and against some variants, a single jab doesn’t look very good at all.

I’m pretty sure Pfizer and Moderna were considered to be at least 80% effective two weeks after the first dose. The issue was how long that worked a few months later if you don’t get the second dose. I don’t remember that AZ numbers, but I was pretty sure it was close to the other two

1 Like

You have to take into account variants, and also the fact that the efficacy is a range. Some people have stronger or weaker immune responses to the first jab than others, so YMMV. A study might find efficacy to be 80% on average after a first jab against a particular variant, but the range seen in individuals could be a meaningful % amount + or - that.

2 Likes

Also efficacy is to do with stopping transmission. A couple of weeks after the first jab and you are pretty safe from getting hospitalized.

Stopping transmission doesn’t relate to hospitalization.

? How doesn’t stopping transmission relate to hospitalization? If you have less chance of getting the virus, you have less chance of being hospitalized. Just pointing out that headlines like above make it seem like the vaccines are not working against the new variants, but all the vaccines are near 100 percent effective at stopping serious illness.

2 Likes