LGBT Taipei Discord/social hang out groups

I just moved to Taipei from Changhua, I have no friends here and would like to hang out with fellow queers in Taipei (or an online chat group would also be okay). Foreigners, or locals, I don’t care, as long as you would be willing to accept me (and my shitty Mandarin skills haha). We can talk about almost anything, from movies to tech, from politics to food, from your pets to architecture (basically I’m a loser who likes to waste his own time reading Wikipedia pages).

Thanks guys!

4 Likes

I can relate to the Wikipedia part ^^

Sorry, no idea about online, but offline there are some “obvious” Taipei LGBT places that attract LGBT crowds, making it easy to get contacts:

1. Red House Area in Ximending (many bars)
  2. G Star (gay club)
  3. Commander D (a bit more hardcore gay club)
  4. Taboo Club (lesbian club)
  5. Wonder Bar (lesbian bar/cafe)
  6. Triangle club has drag nights that might also be attracting an interesting crowd

PS: All of these places are also welcoming to straight people as far as I can tell. At least I enjoyed all of them very much.

PPS: Some photos, although not sure how current

2 Likes

Go to the Red House area in Ximen at night. Go to Cafe Dalida. Speak to the owner, Alvin. He’s a wonderful bloke, and will point you in the right direction.

3 Likes

I would add Abarazo to the list of bars to go. I made most of my LGBT friends in Taipei at Abrazo and Dalida. Local LGBT community is very welcoming and curious about new faces.

I am quite introverted and never approach anyone, but still managed to build a good group of friends. A tip is to stay until after 2pm when alcohol makes everyone more social and conversations easier :slight_smile:

You’ll be surprised about how many of your new friends are willing to continue chatting over IG and meet up for coffee, dinner, hikes, cinema, etc.

2 Likes

I’m not LGBT, but I almost wished I was when I went to the Red House area in Ximen by myself on a busy night because, as somebody who is socially awkward, I was meeting new people and making friends left, right, and centre.

4 Likes

I would love to go to the Red House area in Ximending, but aside from being socially awkward, I’ve never been to a bar (much less a gay bar). I come from a very religious & conservative Southeast Asian country haha, so I really don’t know what to do in a bar, what’s acceptable & what’s not.

Back in my country, when I dreamed of Taiwan, I dreamed of bright city lights & wild nightlife… only for me to be stranded in the most countryside part of an already very countryside Changhua haha. I’m 28 now, finally graduated, and finally got a job in Taipei. For some people, I’m probably too late/old to start my “gay journey”, but for me, this is just the beginning!

2 Likes

Have a beer, talk to people.

2 Likes

Fresh meat.

1 Like

That sounds amazing! Good luck! BTW, 28 isn’t “too late” to start anything. :slight_smile:

The Red House area in Ximending is full of bars and restaurants, and it also has a market. On a Saturday evening, just go and walk around the market and grab something to eat in one of the outdoor venues. Use it as an opportunity to familiarise yourself with the area and don’t expect too much. If you’re Southeast Asian you probably won’t get loads of people approaching you the way they did with me anyway. I’m sure after you go a few times, you’ll feel more at ease and, when the time comes, comfortable about approaching people.

Taipei is a really amazing place to be LGBT. As I said, I’m not LGBT myself, but I made several friends from that scene while I was there and went to loads of gay places.

2 Likes

Personally, I’m thinking of changing my name to Random Article.

Good advice, there’s nothing more to it than this. Put the shoe on the other table which is turned, if you saw someone in a bar having a drink, you wouldn’t think “That’s awkward” so no reason to feel awkward yourself. Logic through it!

3 Likes

I’m gay and will live in Taipei soon. Feel free to send me a private message.

2 Likes