Life in Shanghai

I wouldn’t go there now, nor necessarily recommend anyone else. The mood changed a lot since when I first washed up in 2007. The locals all had a certain excitement and confidence in the future. People seemed happy. The iPhone 3 was coming out. They still thought foreigners were cool just because. New projects everywhere you looked. By the time I left in 2016, the curve had plateaued. Shanghairen had become noticeably jaded, grimaced faces in phones, money, money, money, but by now it wasn’t opportunity per se, but having to work because everyone had big bills to pay.

Time was when you could bang waidi massagie girls gratis. Now it’s all about “tip!” Yeah, right. Zai fucking jian, bitch.

The subway system is probably over twice as big now as in 2007, taxi apps, translation cruds, etc., while making the experience much more convenient, certainly negates a lot of the adventure aspect of dropping yourself onto what used to amount to a different planet. Can’t imagine back in like 1995. Must have been awesome. Buildings held together by snot and loogies and such.

I think China peaked with the Olympics. Then Shanghai had their Expo in 2010. Such excitement leading up to that! Everyone even got a three-day govt holiday. I think after that there was nothing left for them to look forward to.

1 Like

First time I went to Shanghai I was asked what I would like to eat. I told them, local cuisine. They again asked me, if I was sure. Then added, you need to know that Shanghai food is salty and greasy. I’m open to anything I said.

On later visits I stuck to ‘Brazilian BBQ’, eat meat until you drop, drink beer that costs more than the food.

1 Like

Taiwan in the 90s to early 2000s was a bit like Shanghai in the 2000s. It was wild and the expats here were wild too . There were many foreign entrepreneurs. In fact I remember when most business expats suddenly seemed to move to China in year 2002, 2001.

I have heard similar accounts. But I’m glad Taiwan has ended up the way it has.

1 Like

China Peaked with the Olympics

Been saying that for over a decade. China used to be F U N

They became arrogant after the Olympics and especially after the financial crash that followed

2 Likes

Bet they were real sad to see you go. :wink:

2 Likes

China really was on the upswing around then. Sucks to see it moving backwards like this.

1 Like

Jesus what a gig. All I do is write COVID-19 related stuff.