Life in taiwan/ artiscally speaking,totally Fing meaningless

multifaceted, semirant:

i just thought about what context i have in this place and the meaning of my life here. i can’t find it. i go to church, and i’m lao wai. i walk the street and i’m lao wai. sometimes it’s nice, but i find little redeeming value in it at the end of the day.i want to be me.

not only that,i can’t find any artistic context for myself. i sing words that half my audience doesn’t understand. if i play instrumental jazz they don’t get that either, so i’m stuck. sometimes i sit at the piano, play one note and just close it. that sums up how i feel sometimes. i spend more time on the net watching youtube.com than i do practicing. not that practicing is pointless, i enjoy practice.
but the older i get, the less context i see for myself. i strive to be relevant, but i believe this society will do it’s best to make all of us irrelavant. it’s the great agenda that drives the world now. individuals mean nothing.

anyway,what the great agenda has not accomplished, the aging process most certainly will.

play for enjoyment you say?
can’t even buy a decent acoustic nowadays to sit and play on the couch with. everything sucks because it’s made in China and the stuff that doesn’t suck costs 3000Us or more. and by the time i save up for that one, it’s be in the discontinued models. fuck Martin.

i thinking about saying fuck it to everything, including my nagging wife, buy the synth i want, and go around taiwan singing 80s shit.
long live the human league!

Welcome to the world, young Luke.

it’s a scary world, and i don’t like it. i don’t mind problems if they can be solved. a problem with a solution is a just a challenge. but so many problems in taiwan are WITHOUT ANY FUCKING SOLUTION AT ALL. they’re just there.

what would make it bareable:

i wanna make a decent sandwich but the bread, cheese, and ham here sucks. so do the tomatoes. spoils my sandwich everytime.
i’m just a guy who wants to make a decent sandwich for himself and sit on the sofa with a guitar. is that asking too much?

even the milk sucks here. can’t take it anymore.

no costco is NOT the answer.

Really? Sounds pretty cheap compared to many other musical instruments!

So why don’t you learn how to make guitars and sell them for $3000 US or more. Sounds like your passion…

and who cares if your music and life isn’t relevant to the rest of the world. I couldn’t give a toss what other people think of my passions. Its relevant to me and thats what makes you relevant!

Maybe moving to another country would help?

Who the hell is Martin?

The 80’s sound good to me!! :slight_smile:

Culture shock?

[quote=“theposter”]it’s a scary world, and i don’t like it. i don’t mind problems if they can be solved. a problem with a solution is a just a challenge. but so many problems in taiwan are WITHOUT ANY FUCKING SOLUTION AT ALL. they’re just there.

what would make it bareable:

i wanna make a decent sandwich but the bread, cheese, and ham here sucks. so do the tomatoes. spoils my sandwich everytime.
i’m just a guy who wants to make a decent sandwich for himself and sit on the sofa with a guitar. is that asking too much?

even the milk sucks here. can’t take it anymore.

no costco is NOT the answer.[/quote]

=====> Perhaps your life, and that includes your music and sandwich, IS meaningless. You should move to somewhere else like one of Jupiter’s moons where nobody bothers you and you won’t bother anyone either.

By the way has it ever occured to you that your problem has no solution because your problem is actually you?

This has been suggested on here many, many, many times.

i’m just wondering why a guitar that you could buy with 100US in 1950 now costs 3000US and doesn’t have half the vibe. guitars used to be so cheap that even poor people in Appalachia could order a kit or even a finished guitar from Sears and Roebuck and those guitars, my friends outplay ANY guitar today for over 3000US!

why? because Martin guitars is screwing people by using it’s namesake, and it’s target buyers are not musicians but lawyers and dentists who have the money to pay ANY price to try to be “musician cool”.

people who aren’t lawyers and dentists, guys like me who actually WENT TO MUSIC SCHOOL and busted his butt every day and night of his life from 11 years old practicing and gigging can’t buy real instruments!!!

taylor- high priced crap
gibson- was good, ain’t no more
martin- only the high end is good
washburn- gimme a break
yamaha- puh leeze
takamine- hell no.
epiphone- was good, but gibson became batman, epi became robin(poor man’s gibson, sucks)
fender- dentist lovers!

DOWN WITH GLOBALIZATION!!! i don’t want anything made in China unless it’s a Ming vase or silk linen.

and yuppie dentists with better guitars than i’ll ever be able to afford just make want to break into their house. these wannabes drove the price of real instruments beyond the reach of musicans.

I’m so mad i wanna start busting shit in my house!!!
okay i’m calm now.

so does that mean that you are NOT moving to CHINA then? :slight_smile:

i will sell you my japanese made yamaha guitar i bought in 1975 for 2999 dollars/? would that help??

seriously you need to get thy butt back to thine own

i wouldn’t pay you 200 dollars NT for a yamaha. not that yours is bad. they just have no vibe at all FOR ME (opporative word her-- MHO).

yamaha is all made in gaoshiung nowadays . don’t care what the label says.

martin’s stuff IS made in gaoshiung. at least the lower priced models are. hate globalization.

are people tone deaf nowadys to believe the crap these companies put out actually sounds good? has anybody out there ever played the old stuff? it SMOKES anything out there. but you’ll never get one unless you’re in a straight profession or selling drugs. one of those two extremes.
me, i’m just a poor english teacher.

i once was blind but now i see.

played a vintage fender amp , and damn it, I’m saved.
i’ll never be satisfied til i can buy one.
or maybe build one. looking into kits for that. martins too.

[quote]are people tone deaf nowadys to believe the crap these companies put out actually sounds good? has anybody out there ever played the old stuff? it SMOKES anything out there. but you’ll never get one unless you’re in a straight profession or selling drugs. one of those two extremes.
me, i’m just a poor English teacher. [/quote]

My head hurts counting the number of things you just ranted on. :laughing:

[quote=“theposter”]i’m just wondering why a guitar that you could buy with 100US in 1950 now costs 3000US and doesn’t have half the vibe. guitars used to be so cheap that even poor people in Appalachia could order a kit or even a finished guitar from Sears and Roebuck and those guitars, my friends outplay ANY guitar today for over 3000US!
[/quote]

Rant time:

Hate to break it to you, but a house bought for ~$10,000 USD in 1950 is probably worth $300,000 USD now. ITS CALLED INFLATION […]!

And seriously! Stop complaining about globalisation! I bet all your clothes were made in China, along with your Taiwanese MP3 player. In fact, I bet most of your stuff comes from China. If it were made in the US it would be 10 times the price, and you wouldn’t have much spare cash for anything at all.

[quote=“theposter”]

played a vintage fender amp , and damn it, I’m saved.
i’ll never be satisfied til i can buy one.
or maybe build one. looking into kits for that. martins too.[/quote]

Amp: 3q2u.com/geek/ (That’s Corbett from the Living Room, btw)

GOOD DIY acoustic: stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Acoust … _Kits.html

I find the word “Fing” meaningless

And what’s an artiscally? Some kind of basket-weaver from Liverpool?

only thing i’m worried about the stewmac kits is that i have to shave the bracing. that’s scary for me. i know i’ll ruin it. i’m just not good with tools.

come on guys. it’s either rant here or go ballistic. i’d rather rant. i have a nice TV (probably chinese made) that i’d hate to throw a brick thru.

release valve. opperative word here.

“Fing” is the female version of “Ming”. Everyone knows that.

[quote=“theposter”]only thing i’m worried about the stewmac kits is that i have to shave the bracing. that’s scary for me. i know i’ll ruin it. i’m just not good with tools.

come on guys. it’s either rant here or go ballistic. i’d rather rant. i have a nice TV (probably chinese made) that i’d hate to throw a brick thru.

release valve. opperative word here.[/quote]

I love my acoustic. It’s a Sigma (Martin’s “other name” when they were first made in Asia from 1970, and were VERY good quality). I bought mine second-hand in 1991 for 40 quid. They’re still very cheap on Ebay. Cheap enough to make shipping one across worthwhile.

I stuck a Martin pickup in it last year and it’s the dog’s bollox.

You sound like you have arrived at the stage where many guys -

1. Get a divorce
  2. Buy a red convertible
  3. Get an apartment in a “singles community”
  4. Do something weird with their hair
  5. Buy a whole new wardrobe that is still 10 years out of date
  6. Start buying drinks for younger skeezers whi still won’t give then the time of day
  7. Still don’t find happy happy
  8. Wake up one day and suddenly realize the only thing that they really needed was a new attitude.

I’ve had quite a few of these guys crash on my couch or in my spare bedroom over the years. Even bought a couple of motorcycles from them when they finally decided to go back to the wife and needed the money.