Life on Penghu - Advice?

Glad to hear. It’s been a while since we visited Penghu, must visit soon. Wish the air tickets were a bit cheaper, might try the ferry next time.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.

How about the wind and weather throughout the year?

1 Like

It was actually light this winter compared to last. We’ve just learned to do our reading, video games, binge watching, and comfort food eating during the windy months and enjoy the beaches and outdoors when the wind dies down. 7-8 months of nice weather, 4-5 months of wind. My wife and I were actually discussing how we miss the rainy days in Taipei haha. It rarely rains here.

7 Likes

Any shopping malls on the island with H&M, Zara, Uniqlo, Gap, Nike, etc.?

Thank you for the updates. I’ve read this thread just a while ago from beginning to end. It seems nice to visit there once in a while. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Bruh I totally forgot to reply but this list was insanely accurate. Thanks so much for all the recommendations.

The Korean hotpot was amazing, and the coffee at shooting the breeze cafe was great too (made the mistake of ordering food though lol). Addict was surprisingly good too. These would be top notch anywhere not just Penghu. Strongly recommend everyone to try them. In fact I plan to go to them again every time I go to Penghu.

The cantonese restaurant was interesting and the view from White bay was the chef’s kiss.

I would only disagree on the burgers at butterfly, the bun was too sweet imho.

3 Likes

Yes. I remember Pier 3 there should be more too though. If you go to Pier 3 try the Korean hotpot so good.

1 Like

Pier 3 is a modern shopping mall with food court, many restaurants, and movie theatre but they don’t have H&M or Uni or GAP. Plenty of name brand shops though. There is a NET for clothes shopping downtown.

1 Like

Ah, so it’s more of a duty-free mall for tourists then?

1 Like

Check this place out next time. Fried wantons are the bomb!

2 Likes

The American sub restaurant chain? Also, how has the telecom/internet situation been with the cables damaged by China?

That’s what it looks like to me. I’ve been visiting Penghu every year for the past 13 years and I was quite surprised when they built that mall, but it did seem to have a lot of emphasis on duty-free shopping for tourists.

1 Like

Yes, the sub sandwich chain. Internet and cable have been fine. No issues. The underwater cable is fixed now I think.

1 Like

@MrBeeTaiwan I just visited Penghu again a couple of weeks ago and discovered a wonderful cafe on Baisha called Leisure Time. I wrote about it here: Leisure Time Cafe 半日閑下午茶

I wonder if you’ve been there and what you think.

1 Like

We go maybe once a month. Great scenery. One of the few places you can get waffles in Penghu haha. Good for tea time and snacks, don’t get the chicken wings LOL

3 Likes

There is a duty free section on the 2nd floor. I wanted to buy the Johnny Deep Dior cologne and the salesperson was like “Sure thing! I just need to see your boarding pass.” Ugggh I live here. Oh sorry you can’t buy it then. LOL

4 Likes

So, if tourists from Taiwan island don’t need to pay taxes when shopping on Penghu, I wonder if you can get the same benefits if you went shopping on Taiwan island.

1 Like

Not in winter.

Living in Penghu is great. Great seafood and a much more relaxed pace of life. Plus being able to walk to a beach or let kids play almost outside your front door. One of the worst parts is probably the tourists coming over. Tour buses flooding villages and scooters driving around in holiday mode forgetting some of us actually live here.

6 Likes

Very true. I know several people who run BnBs, coffee shops, restaurants, etc…that depend on tourists for business. Fireworks show starts next week so get ready! My wife is the same, she isn’t allowed to drive when big groups come to the island. If she sees a bunch of rental scooters with people wearing the same helmets and taking pictures while driving she goes RED haha

3 Likes