Life on the HSR

I used Kerry TJ (嘉里大榮) when I moved from Taipei to Kaohsiung last year. You can book online, and they will contact you and come pick up your luggage at your address. The cost is quite reasonable.

2 Likes

Thanks @quandary – this could be a great option, as I’ve discovered my suitcases are a bit too large for black-cat. The bus will also be an option, although Kerry TJ sounds ideal.

1 Like

How do you print your HSR ticket with the Ibon at 711, using your ARC?

It shows there is a ticket reserved, but it asks for a 4 digit number. The attendant tried helping but nothing doing

1 Like

Isn’t this the last 4 numbers of your ARC?

That’s what we expected. I think passport numbers got involved somehow. All good now.

1 Like

Tried to help my friend buy a senior discount HSR ticket and tried the trick of just showing the NHI card instead of the ARC which used to work, but apparently they will punch in the ID# to check. Anyways it’s a no go, no foreigners allowed for senior citizen discount. Was told I could come back with my friend’s ARC…which I didn’t understand at all, what would be different? When I asked what difference would that make I was told that well if he has lived in Taiwan for 30 years and has a special line (didn’t fully understand this specific part) then he can get the discount. Seems a bit absurd of a requirement to get a discounted ticket.

Checking the app it seems that even for the “disabled” ticket discount you also need to be a RoC Citizen as well.

Was also told by a friend who attended one one of those AIT meeting for Americans when mentioned this that they were told it’s because HSR Company is a private company, so they make the rules for this. The worker told me because it’s the government only provides subsidies to the company for only Republic of China citizens for the senior discount tickets…

Anyways, my friend might just take the bus up…160NTD with a discounted ticket (he’s had no problem getting the discounted ticket for this before) compared to the 700NTD full priced HSR ticket for Taichung to Taipei.

1 Like

Seems quite clear, https://en.thsrc.com.tw/ArticleContent/a25ac7a5-e1b0-4539-85fd-1f6de0fb60d1/assets/9cd39d1b-15e1-4267-a669-7c08b6598ce9.pdf .Put in a complaint to the relevant government department.

1 Like

Oh I’m aware of it, but before you could try your luck with just showing your NHI card, now it seems like that’s not possible anymore. There’s also another thread somewhere around here focused specifically more on senior discounts in other countries for residents/everyone compared to Taiwan’s usual citizens only.

Mostly it’s just a bummer.

Sitting on a hill above an HSR station and can see the track at multiple locations.

There have been no trains going either direction in like 15 minutes.

Edit: Finally saw a train like 15 minutes between.and then another 3 minutes later.

It’s actual 1010 holiday so I expect train would be every 5 minutes or something.

Houtanjing Sky Bridge

1 Like

I wonder if there is anything really useful in this for foreigners and if you really need to go to a travel agent to purchase.

Like for example
1.can I purchase a month long pass and go wherever whenever I want
2. without going through a travel agent
3. how much do they cost?
4. Is taking a bike on board included or is that extra?

• Foreigners can purchase One-Way Tickets through THSR’s overseas and domestic agents.
  • THSR Pass or the THSR and TRA Joint Pass according to their travel schedules and needs, as these passes will allow them to explore the country and experience local culture during their stay
  • THSR and TRA Joint Pass will allow them unlimited rides on designated Taiwan Railway trains and limited rides on THSR trains within the designated period
  • The THSR Pass will allow foreign passengers unlimited rides on THSR trains within the designated days,

I think there’s already a thread about this?

I dunno about you, but I don’t have $43000 to take unlimited rides.

Seems if you use Google pay to pay for your tickets on the HSR app to book tickets T-Express the transaction may fail. Happened to me after trying to pay for my reserved tickets just now. Before I’ve always used Google pay to pay for my tickets on the HSR for years.

After some people left some negative reviews on the Google play store the HSR company responded. According to the company’s response it’s because of Taishin bank’s new implementation of online transaction risk control/management system. So you can still pay with the same card that you have set up with your Google Pay/Apply pay…but you have to specifically select the pay with Credit Card option instead of the Google Pay/Apple Pay option

Apologies for any inconvenience caused. Because of the financial risk management operated by Taishin Bank (THSRC acquiring bank), the payment by Google Pay with a VISA card might be failed due to the unauthorized online transactions on the app. Please choose a different payment method or use a different brand of cards to complete your payment.

Chinese version of response, same thing but also mentions Apple pay may failed as well with VISA cards:

抱歉造成您使用上的不便! 因本公司收單銀行 – 台新銀行實施行動支付 (如:Apple Pay、Google Pay) 綁定 VISA 信用卡之網路交易風險控管機制,旅客於 T Express 使用 Google Pay 時,可能因 VISA 信用卡未通過付款檢核導致交易失敗。 旅客如遇上述狀況且欲使用同一張信用卡付款,請改採「一般信用卡」以輸入卡號方式完成交易;抑或改利用 Google Pay 綁定之其他信用卡或改由其他方式進行付款。

Link to Google play store page for the app:

1 Like

Just boarded a train. If you have a seat number, you should know which entrance to use. But no, like a dozen people bump into each other in the middle of the car because they did not use the right door. :person_facepalming:t3:

2 Likes

Always amazes me! The car number and seats served is clearly printed on the ground at every doorway. Fine if someone is late for the train and just hops on at the nearest door but people who have gotten there early and queued getting in the wrong car or the wrong end of the car are just dumb. 50% chance when you get on the train someone will be sitting in your seat too. Last train I took I boarded in Banqiao, some guy in my seat with his McDonalds breakfast laid out before him on the tray table. Asked him what his seat number was, he tells me and adds “but it’s in the other carriage” as if this information somehow meant he could stay where he was, was greatly upset when he had to rebag his maccers and move.

2 Likes

Never had that experience, HSR here is great like shinkansen in JP, unfortunately HSR stations here r like China’s, far from city centre (besides Taipei).

But great service nonetheless, spotlessly clean and on time

1 Like

The only station that’s really poorly positioned is Tainan, the other ones are fine tbh.

Tainan is one of the better positioned HSR stations because can just walk 3 minutes to catch the regular train to central Tainan train station.

Most HSR stations are outside the cities with no connections to nearby cities other than bus and taxi.

3 Likes

Tainan is NOTORIOUS for being extremely far away from actual Tainan.

Which ones? Taoyuan and Kaohsiung are connected by subway and the other ones are rarely used.

Tainan is far, yes. Chiayi is very far, taoyuan is useless in that position tbh, can’t even have the space in the future for express trains to airport since there is no passing space for trains!

Banqiao is fine, but I would put that into Taipei area.

Changhua station is closer to Tainan, Taichung also very far. Kaohsiung is not even Kaohsiung, is zuoying.

Not convenient tbh, but there were buffet constraints and given the different tracks width hsr trains can’t run through normal tracks and stations.