Life on the MRT 2019

I like a face sitting image more than a joke!

Amazingly, yes I have. However, I still live by certain rules.

I give them what they ask for, equal rights!

1 Like

Well, you should still give your non-priority seat up if people need and it the priority seats are occupied.

never had to do it so far in taiwan, and iā€™ve only seen others do it now and then. as i said, in china i had to do it almost everytime. so i think the priority seats system work very well.

if its your lady. if not, forgeddaboudit. iā€™ve seen plenty of guys here not hold the door open for women which were not their gfs. i always find that odd, its more effort for you to get the door swung in your face and then re open it again than it is for the person in front to just hold it open a little longer.

I think the unwritten rules are -

• if youā€™re female and have given up enough that you have a short perm, you no longer need to wait in line
    and
  • you need to stop and look at your phone the moment you have both your feet firmly inside the car
2 Likes

I canā€™t really comment about how other men may behave.

Men in their 20s are on the lowest rung of the MRT hierarchy totem pole imo.

It is also an unwritten rule in much of the world that women have to fetch water from the well.

Iā€™m going to write the MRT to suggest adding red or green seats for the color-blind.

1 Like

I sit down whenever thereā€™s a seat available.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

I take a seat when my trip is long or if thereā€™s just a bunch open. I used to get annoyed because I needed to sit after I tore my knee and was still recovering. People would look at me weird if I donā€™t get up or annoy me because there canā€™t be anything wrong with me. But I think now thereā€™s a new ad in the MRT that explains some people have needs that canā€™t be seen and you shouldnā€™t assume.

So do you guys man spread?

Better than sitting on someoneā€™s lap, I guess.

i do sometimes, but i donā€™t want to sit next to people. theres no wiggle room.

Always. Give 'em an inch and they take a mile.

2 Likes

The thing with the colored seats has always struck me as odd. Back home, every seat would be a priority seat for the elderly, etc. Reminds me of this story:

An event at the Olympic Games some years after the Persian invasion shows quite clearly an attitude among other Greeks to the Spartans. An old man was trying to find a place to sit down, limping and stumbling as he did so. He walked haltingly along the front of the grassy banks where the spectators sat, looking for a spare patch of ground, but there was none and nobody was prepared to give up his seat. Then the old man reached the section reserved for Spartiates. At once, every single man stood up to offer the old man his place. The rest of the audience broke out into applause for the Spartiateā€™s behaviour. The old man looked around and called out. ā€œI see what this means. All Greeks know what is right ā€“ but only the Spartiates do it.ā€

4 Likes

itā€™s a nice pleasant gesture from men

Same. You see an elderly person having trouble standing get on and the debate is if the pregnant woman or other old person should move out of their seat to let her sit.

We lived in Korea and Taiwan when our son was young. In Korea, it was actually annoying in that people wouldnā€™t let me stand if I were on the subway or a bus with him in a carrier though in Taiwan, I donā€™t think I was ever offered a seat, not that I really cared.