Life without a bike

Persephone, you know my preference for bicycle and the reasons for it. I still feel the same way, so no need to go into that.

What I would like to comment on is the qualification of Taipei traffic as being terrible, dangerous, without rules, etc.

All things being relative, I’d say it depends on what your frame of reference is. Where are you coming from? What kind of traffic are you used to?

I have lived in Holland, country that is compulsive-obsessive about decency in traffic and putting the cyclist first (great when you’re riding your bicycle :slight_smile:, but sucks when you’re in the car, trying to pass the arrogant cyclist :fume: );
On the other side of the spectrum, I come from South-East Europe, where we’ve tons of assholes and idiots behind the wheel and until recently, similar disregard for rules as can be seen in Taiwan;
Or, even driving a car in places like Paris or small-town Italy, where creating your own lanes as you drive down the boulevards is part of the colorful lifestyle. Sure, it could get your car smashed, but you’ll enjoy it as a part of the folklore.

Getting advice and experiences from us here is certainly useful, but at the end of the day, the only one who can qualify Taipei traffic for you is you, your own experience of it. Same goes for whether you opt for public transport vs. taxi vs. scooter vs. pampering bf :wink:

Have you decided yet when to come, btw?

Erm, perhaps Easter Island would be a better option for you?

Regardless of what I have written above, I hate riding in Taipei and it certainly isn’t for the faint hearted.

If you want to pass the test here, for those of us that can keep a bicycle staright the practical part is not that much of a problem.
The real problem comes with the written test/bureaucracy.

You should see http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewforum.php?f=75 for details on how to get a licence here and the procedures linked to getting your international drivers licence stamped and legal. You can do a search and you will be able to find loads of useful information about the subject.

I personally have an international drivers licence. All I do is get it stamped at the driving wotsit place and it’s good for a year so I don’t have to bother about getting a local licence.

There are different regulations regarding different international licences. I’m not sure, but I think you have to get a US licence stamped every 3 months.

That’s such doggypoop. You’ve obviously never done it. :unamused:

I’ll race you from ShiDa to XinDian (you motorised, me on bicycle), on any given weekday morning, top of the traffic hour on Roosevelt Rd. and a few alleys. :raspberry:

I put my bike in for a total overhaul last night, meaning it’ll be there for a few days. I felt so naked without it that I accepted a 50cc loaner so I could stay mobile. Those things are some SCARY shit! I’m giving it back tomorrow and just taxiing it till my own bike’s ready. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Tash, how far is your daily bicycle commute? I’d love to ride mine to work but it’s like a 35km round trip and I’d be so sweaty and greasy by the time I got to the office…

[quote=“Persephone”]I’m afraid to ride a [color=brown]bicycle [/color]in traffic because I tend to drift in whatever direction I turn my head. From what I’ve heard so far, Taipei does not sound like a good place to start learning how to ride a motorbike.[/quote]From what you’ve said, I do think you’d find riding any two-wheeler here a bit intimidating, although as Tash said you don’t really know until you get here.

[quote=“Persephone”]However, if I change my mind when I get there, how difficult would it be for me to get a license? I’m not sure I’ll have time to take lessons and pass the test before I leave here.[/quote]Well, any form of western-style driver training you could get while still in the States would be very useful, but as for the actual license then you might as well get a TW one. As Dangermouse said, there’s lots of useful information on this in the “Vroom, vroom” section.

If you do decide to get a US license then make sure you get an International Driving Permit/License before you come to Taiwan. See this thread for further information:
[Foreign-issued International Driving Licenses/Permits

[quote=“sandman”]
Tash, how far is your daily bicycle commute? I’d love to ride mine to work but it’s like a 35km round trip and I’d be so sweaty and greasy by the time I got to the office…[/quote]

Not sure in km’s, but I imagine way under 35km. I’d appreciate it if someone would tell me, though:
I go ShiDa (home) - XinDian (office) - Taipei101 (gym) - ShiDa

We can shower at work, so sweating and dirt are not that much of an issue.

PS Drove car in weekend to Kaohsiung and back. Finally behind a wheel! I’m as happy as a gal can be :bouncy:

Taiwanese highway ethics suck big time, though. Jeez, get out of the fast lane if you’re going to drive 90, jerk! :fume: Or, am I the only one who thinks that should be the fast lane? Are the rules different here?:s They all seem to choose the lanes as they please, irrespective of the speed. :loco: Found myself overtaking in the slowest lane most of the time. It was like driving in England.

I just can’t help to think how many wonderful out-of-the-way places I would have missed had I not had my own transportation.

Don’t even think about coming here and not having your own transpo…There are too many nice places that you can’t get to by bus or train.

JDsmith is right, safety-wise it’s far superior to when I arrived.

I have a truck and 2 bikes…Unless it’s rainy or very cold, I’m on 2 wheels. In fact I’m packing up for a quick jog into the mountains right now :sunglasses:

Without your own transportation you’ll be very limited in what you can see IMHO…Just go for it.

Scars are cool anyway :smiling_imp:

Scooters are really convenient. You own more of your own time when you have one. You might get to work in 8 minutes instead of 38 if you have a scooter. Riding buses in rush hour is hell. People waiting to board the MRT don’t understand the concept of letting passengers off the train first before pushing and shoving their way in. Get a scooter.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. The rules aren’t different here in that regard, though – the outside lane is for passing only. But no-one gives a shit. It’s quite liberating once you get used to it, and you can really improve your slalom technique. :wink: